Main Menu

Folding machines

Started by Hans Manhave, March 01, 2013, 01:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

Our folder (Martin-Yale Auto Folder) is on the blink.  Sorry, no specific model number found on the unit.  I have replaced rollers and friction features, cleaned it, etc.  It folds in the direction it should, but it also creates wrinkles 90 degrees opposite of it.  Possibly from humidity, static, alignment etc. 

I'm looking for a different model.  I would like to hear what you are using (brand, model) and experience.

Thanks.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jim Jensen

primarily the first model - they usually come in pairs, left & right. Sometimes the 2nd tool helps. I was at a church governance office recently and the paper folder was being used - first time I've seen one in use in more than 10 years.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Hans Manhave

Yes, we have a few sets of the first kind!    During the era of dot matrix printers I have also used a 'cr, no lf' setting to create an easy to fold location. But that won't work with laser printers so we sank $1500 in a folder years ago. Technology does not appear to have improved, that doesn't make things easier.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

We've had pretty good luck with the folder below.   We do runs of usually not more than a 1,000 at a time and it works pretty well for that.  The trick with these things is to get a dealer who is knowledgeable and will help you out with issues.  One of the things they said is that the humidity of the paper makes a difference.   We fold both stationary, and a glossier paper stock of about the same weight and haven't had too many problems (knock on wood), so I would recommend this one with the caveat of matching the workload to the machine.  At $400, as advertised in this ad, I think it's a good deal, but only if it works for what YOU have in mind for it.

http://www.whitakerbrothers.com/mbm-93m-tabletop-manual-paper-folder
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop