The TAM Windows 7 Resolution Problem

Started by Ben Thoele, February 18, 2013, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Thoele

We have a bit of the problem.  Because of the way Microsoft changed the display options in Windows 7 our staff can't read their TAM screens without major eye strain.

Here is some background. Next year, on April 8th Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP with security updates.  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx   Because of this our agency is in the process of upgrading our fleet of desktops to Windows 7.  Windows 7, has less display options than Windows XP.  A typical Dell computer running a Dell LCD monitor may only have four display options.  Many of ours have 4 options.  In Windows 7 it's (recommended) to use the maximum resolution.  This will give you the clearest text.   This will also give you the smallest text.  We have tried using other display options but we end up with a number of other problems including text that's still not big enough and blurry.  The best solution we have found with our fleet of 17" monitors is to set the resolution to the Windows (recommended) setting and then use the Zoom feature.   This results in a display that is very clear and has text font that is readable.

This feature is not supported by TAM.  If you enable this feature in Windows 7, TAM activities will cut off text and you will lose data!  We discovered this problem Friday and realized that we losted data as a result,  a major problem.  We worked with support to remedy the problem but we still have a long term problem.  We're also disappointed that Applied Systems didn't fully test its software with the changes in Windows 7 and notify its customers that certain settings would impact TAM is this way. Yes i know, Waaa,  O.K.  We know that this wasn't a supported setting but like many unsupported settings the question is always "why".

The demographic of our staff is probably very similar to many other agencies across the country.  Also the hardware and software, Dell and Windows is also very similar to other agencies.  I would think that many agencies would be experiencing this same problem now.

The solutions we have identified so far are to purchase a new fleet of larger 19" monitors (expensive) or change management systems (expensive and a massive project), or run Windows XP past April 2014 (unsecure, and it creates future budget problems).  Support mentioned that this is a known problem and may be fixed in TAM 13, more than a year away.

Has anyone else found a solution to this?
Ben Thoele, I.T. Coordinator
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Jim Jensen

Topic split - being my first time at splitting, I moved Jan's response without intending to do so. Her response:

QuoteHmmm...we have Windows 7 and 17 Inch monitors...and we don't have display issues.. we are using 1024x768 and Windows Classic.

Jan Regnier
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Coral

I'm using 1280 x 1024 throughout the office. I'm not getting complaints. What resolution would you prefer to use?
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Ric

Same res here.  19" LCDs

Quote from: Coral on February 20, 2013, 10:25:18 AM
I'm using 1280 x 1024 throughout the office. I'm not getting complaints. What resolution would you prefer to use?
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Bob

I'm using several 22" wide screens at 1680x1050 just fine..  Fills screen completely and for me easy on eyes.  Everything is nice and crisp. 

Gene Foraker

Maybe I have old eyes, but I use 1152 X 864.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Bob

How things are viewed are 2 steps, not just resolution which we often stop at.   While I use high res 1680x1050 on wide screen, under display in control panel I have things set to 125% and everything fits perfectly, larger and uses entire widescreen.   Changing resolution alone not enough and I think if Ben plays with a higher res and view of 125% he would find peace.  Everything works just fine and easy on the eyes.  Don't use the 150% if you're not constantly scrolling I find here we lose some fields in disbursements.

I would go to the higher recommended resolutions then change display in control panel to 125% and think you'll be happy as well as your users.  Increased display is only helpful in higher resolutions.  If not done right combo you can lose some fields in cash disbursements from my testing here.  Hope this helps..  :)

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Bob Connor on February 20, 2013, 01:38:51 PM
How things are viewed are 2 steps, not just resolution which we often stop at.   While I use high res 1680x1050 on wide screen, under display in control panel I have things set to 125% and everything fits perfectly, larger and uses entire widescreen.   Changing resolution alone not enough and I think if Ben plays with a higher res and view of 125% he would find peace.  Everything works just fine and easy on the eyes.  Don't use the 150% if you're not constantly scrolling I find here we lose some fields in disbursements.

I would go to the higher recommended resolutions then change display in control panel to 125% and think you'll be happy as well as your users.  Increased display is only helpful in higher resolutions.  If not done right combo you can lose some fields in cash disbursements from my testing here.  Hope this helps..  :)

Ah, I think that is on Win 7.    I am still on XP here.   Last I heard from Applied is that it was a no no to mess with font size for TAM.   Has that changed?
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Bob

Not changing font size but magnifying everything proportionally.  If you change the system font, you'll blow up.  Changing view to 125 with High res, TAM fits nice and functional in all areas.  Again in my testing must use max res then use display at 125% and it's nice fit extremely easy on eyes.  Lower res doing this, you'll lose things.  Going to 150% same results.  Perfect blend with my experience is highest res possibly supported and view at 125% under Display in control panel.

Ben Thoele

Quote from: Bob Connor on February 20, 2013, 02:06:30 PM
Not changing font size but magnifying everything proportionally.  If you change the system font, you'll blow up.  Changing view to 125 with High res, TAM fits nice and functional in all areas.  Again in my testing must use max res then use display at 125% and it's nice fit extremely easy on eyes.  Lower res doing this, you'll lose things.  Going to 150% same results.  Perfect blend with my experience is highest res possibly supported and view at 125% under Display in control panel.
Bob, that's what we did and we lost data.  We were running 17" square monitors, max res 1280 x 1024, 125% and activities were getting cut off.  We will have to try if certain combinations work.
The original text was "This is a sample renewal activity on which I will type a paragraph of text to test whether it gets cut off when I click okay and save it. On the others that I tried today, I see all of my text while typing but when I click...
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Bob

I think physical screen size, aspect ration plays in our differences.  I recreated what you posted and everything fit and wrapped just fine..  20-22" widescreen with high res and 125% works nice.   Might be consideration later for those making the move over.  It's not perfect but 99% works great and users happy.  Anytime you change res or view want to close tam and go back in so it adapts and removes scrolling bards that initially happen when you do this.

Ben Thoele

Quote from: Bob Connor on February 20, 2013, 02:20:43 PM
I think physical screen size, aspect ration plays in our differences.  I recreated what you posted and everything fit and wrapped just fine..  20-22" widescreen with high res and 125% works nice.   Might be consideration later for those making the move over.  It's not perfect but 99% works great and users happy.  Anytime you change res or view want to close tam and go back in so it adapts and removes scrolling bards that initially happen when you do this.
When you type the activity in the "Add Note" field using the Zoom 125% it looks fine,  it allows you to type in the text,  the problem is when you review the submitted activity in the "Existing" field.  That's when it cuts off what the user thought they submitted.

P.S.  We would love to use the 125% to have larger clearer text in all Windows applications but TAM appears to be the roadblock.
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Jim Jensen

Huh, I have 17" monitors with 1280x1084 and never have a desire to make anything bigger - I leave it set at 100% on Windows 7. Could be a difference in distance to the screen, too. Mine are less than 24" from my face.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Conan_Ward

It hasn't changed, it still breaks some parts of the system, just like changing the DPI did in older versions (as far as I can tell, its the same option). I'm not sure how it's working for Bob, but, it's not something I can recommend from where I sit. I'm not sure why this is a roadblock from a development side, but I know there have been several enhancements over the year entered due to the reality that the average age of insurance agents/brokers tends to be going up faster than younger blood is entering the industry (not that I'm calling anyone here old, but I've read a few articles citing it as a concern for the future of the industry in general).
Former TAM support, P&C licensed in Maryland, LFW

Jan Regnier

and you are using Windows Classic setting, correct?  We did have issues if we didn't.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio