WINTAM.INI query

Started by Andrew Carrick, April 01, 2010, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

We've had a couple of users not been able to log on recently, get error message "entry key must not be empty". Support say to delete WINTAM folder and recreate which is OK but anyone know what might cause this?

Looking at the old INI file the main difference is that the error message has embedded itself into the [ENV] section, and the [TAMSHELL] section has UseInitial Table=1 line.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Alice

Andrew - we see this occasionally and found something other than renaming the local wintam folder. If you open wintam.ini in Notepad, look for any lines beginning with "=" and delete it. But before you do, compare it to a working wintam.ini - you may be able to delete more than the "=" and a lot of blank lines.
I reported this to Applied about a year ago and they don't know why this happens either.
I would rather go this route first since renaming the Wintam folder and running ASUPDATE loses all the personal settings.  Users hate when I do that.  ;)

JohnGage

It would be nice if the user settings portion of wintam.ini was easily cut and pasted into a fresh wintam.ini
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Andrew Carrick

Thanks for that. Nice to know we don't suffer alone!
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Hans Manhave

User settings are in WTSETUP.INI   It is for version 9.3 anyways.

I have users that experience regular problems, copy that file after they have it set the way the like.  Also, I copy a default one for new users.  I use mine as the default, whatever it is at the moment.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Alice

??? Well, if the user settings are in the wtsetup.ini, how come the settings get lost when we rename the Wintam folder and run asupdate?  Does it change the wtsetup.ini?
I really would like to copy a file over and resolve the lost settings thing.

Hans Manhave

As wtsetup.ini is stored in \wintam, it would be re-created in the new \wintam directory/folder.  However, if you renamed the directory, you can copy it from there, if you delete the directory, you can first copy it out of there, or, what I do, copy it to a network share and then share it with all the users that you want to share it with.  I suggest creating an "accounting" wtsetup.ini, one for producers, one for csr's or whatever functions you may have.  It greatly enhances the functionality of wide screen monitors if you can pre-install the fields in the views so the end-user doesn't have to figure it out.  I like having accounting see the operator code, the invoice item #, the producer 1 & 2, the commission, balance due etc.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein