Main Menu

Printer of choice?

Started by Hans Manhave, December 05, 2012, 02:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

What is the printer of choice nowadays?  Full color?  Include scanning?

I'm looking for a networked laser printer for a workgroup of 5 to 6 people.  It would be nice to have letter and legal both but I have the legal option covered if they walk a bit farther.  Scanning would be handy, but that is more to break.  Scanners on smaller machines are also not as speedy, in my opinion.

Open to suggestions.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

The last couple of printers that I've purchased have been used HP models.  A networked 4200, and also a networked color 4700.  Both are what I would call business class or workgroup printers.  A little larger and heavier than many, also better built.  Printers like this usually don't wear out nearly as easily as cheaper ones, so buying them used doesn't bother me.  I also think that their toner, fusers and supplies are cheaper than others.  And parts are cheap and abundant.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Ric

Quote from: Dutch Dude on December 05, 2012, 02:53:54 PM
What is the printer of choice nowadays?  Full color?  Include scanning?

I'm looking for a networked laser printer for a workgroup of 5 to 6 people.  It would be nice to have letter and legal both but I have the legal option covered if they walk a bit farther.  Scanning would be handy, but that is more to break.  Scanners on smaller machines are also not as speedy, in my opinion.

Open to suggestions.

PDFCreator.

if they must print some things then would a digital copier be over budget? We have had Canons and a couple of Xerox and they have worked well
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Hans Manhave

Ok, our printer of choice is PDFFactoryPro.  However, sometimes people still demand a physical expression.  :)

Actually hadn't thought of Xerox because they are boutique sales in this part of the country and priced accordingly.  Will check those out too.  Was currently leaning toward a Dell branded unit or Okidata.  We have a free floor standing Oki and it has been very good, was hoping that a small Oki would be similarly made.  This is to replace one Ricoh 4500 and two HP5Si/8000Si units.  As we don't print a case a day anymore, we don't need to have all big machines anymore either.  I am thinking green!  Not energy, but semolians.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

Being "Dutch" automatically means that you're "green"?  I just thought it meant that we were cheap.  I like your spin. You should have been in politics or advertising, Hans!  ;)

I have a good honest office machine dealer about a half mile away.  He knows what I like and recommends used equipment because he says the repair records are better on many of the older machines than they are on some of the newer, lighter weight stuff, and the toner and consumables are also less expensive and last longer.  If you have a decent dealer around, that might make a difference.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Sherry Burrell

We also bought a used Xerox Phaser 6360.  I would have never bought this machine new, it's a little too much for our small office, but our dealer gave us a great price on it.  It has been a great printer.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Sherry Burrell on December 06, 2012, 11:38:58 AM
We also bought a used Xerox Phaser 6360.  I would have never bought this machine new, it's a little too much for our small office, but our dealer gave us a great price on it.  It has been a great printer.

I think that a lot of these machines were leased by a bank, school or other large organization and were probably under a maintenance agreement with the dealer.  At least our machines were.

Bob

We bought some refurbished Ricoh Digital copiers like Jeff mentioned once leased equipment.  We use them as printers too for big jobs and have it set up for duplex jobs too reducing paper say printing large policies for those not wanting it by email.  Can also scan/copy to your email or to a client or company.  Still have standard HP printers for other print jobs, letterhead, invoices etc.  Picked up 2 of them rather cheap, forget what we paid but was surprisingly cheap because market is flooded with new compact hi-tech devices costing more.   

Hans Manhave

I settled on a Okidata 561.  Came in today. Installed in no time.  Software installed very easily, self discovering the network printer. Prints fast and color is beautiful.  I didn't see any reason not to install a color machine.  Best price was at Adorama.  A second paper tray has been ordered and warranty will be added separately. I am hoping this baby-Oki will do as well as our full size model. I still need to set the network scanning.

Jeff Golas

Nice! To add to the thread...has anyone had any experience with the consumer-grade color lasers/MFP's? I need to pick one up this week for a user who will be working (very) remotely, so need something I can depend on.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on December 17, 2012, 10:00:23 AM
Nice! To add to the thread...has anyone had any experience with the consumer-grade color lasers/MFP's? I need to pick one up this week for a user who will be working (very) remotely, so need something I can depend on.

Not the color models, but I had some experiences with the black and white models.  My advice would be to stay with an all in one toner/drum unit like an HP or Canon based print engine rather than those with separate drums.  Those were very expensive to run.  I ended up going to a used HP unit that was a little older and heavier duty than the SOHO units.  The savings on cost and aggravation was well worth it. 

Hans Manhave

Okidata MC561MFP has been in service now for two weeks.  It prints very well.  I have both letter (500+ pages) and legal (about 300 pages) loaded.  Also has a bypass tray.  Copying works fine also.

It took hours to figure out what makes the unit scan to folder.  All our other units where I have scanning setup are large Ricoh units.  They do things one way and that is quite simple after having done it for years.  Oki has a bit different approach but now it has been figured out, it works very well also.  For one thing, I was used to having it called 'SMB' scanning.  Oki names it CIFS in the instructions while naming it SMB other places.

The web interface is well done and easy to operate, very responsive.  I am using the browser access to the IP directly.  I locked myself out by accident when I changed one option too many.  :)   I reset it on the console and all was well again. 

This is a full color machine that can take card stock paper also.  Those two considerations are the reason why I selected our second Oki printer.  (technically it is our third, but I'm not using the dot matrix unit). 

Support by phone and online chat has been very good.  They must have worked for Applied Systems at one time.  I estimate a three year or better life for this so we will see how it goes.  So far I give it five out of five stars for price, performance, features, support and ease of setup.

Charlie Charbonneau

Hans,

As I know that you'll appreciate this, I'll post it here.  I present the preferred printer for the Charbonneau household!

http://www.inkedibles.com/515-001-01.php?osCsid=mubh3h6aeq3vfh90cd1hedgv35

Set comes with a couple frosting sheets as well as some rice paper.  Better ordered in bulk online for refills!

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

That is most interesting.  You really have one of those printers?  If not, I do think you need one.  I have the rice paper and several edible ink markers (not sure if they were used and thrown out though).  I never bought the ink.  Canon has the monopoly on that edible ink feature, I think.  Rice paper circles work very well for macaroons.  Me thinks you need to plan your family vacation around a national bakers convention.  I think the American Bakers Association has one every year in Florida.  I have attended a couple similar ones in the early '80s and they are amazing.  Maybe your home town is big enough to have one of their own.  Baking is finally becoming popular again, even this little town is getting a second artizan bread based eatery.

Jim Jensen

I think the disclaimer for the edible ink: IMPORTANT: Do not swallow / drink. Intended for food decoration purposes through inkjet printing use only.

So I can decorate my food with it, but not swallow it?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis