Isaac Hangover - Patch Cables

Started by Billy Welsh, September 11, 2012, 02:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Welsh

Is there a best practices for color coding patch cables?  Or should I just use whatever logic suits me, which may not be what my techs or someone coming behind me one day would want?

With the extended power outages from Isaac, we temporarily relocated our server, which involved me unplugging ~ 70 patch cables, 99% of which were all the same color (I made the mistake of following instructions when told the color did not matter).  This had to be done under time constraints, with a flashlight, & sweating bullets from the lack of a/c, but with an eye towards the ultimate "coming home party" after which I wanted everything back to normal.

The same colored wires did NOT help this process -  multiple switches, 2 of which are POE, and phones also run on the LAN.

TIA
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

I use different colors for different purposes - blue = data, white = phone, etc. Use a brother p-touch or simliar labeler to print number labels you can wrap around the cord at the boot so you know what goes where.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jan Regnier

Not that I have to do what you are doing - but I do label cables so I know where they go and to what they belong to...
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Mark

I'd simply suggest that the best practice is to use different color cables.  You can probably devise your own scheme, but it might be advantageous to put something on the rack or near it that indicates what is what.  also might be nice to draw the VLANs out for the switches so you can quickly move cables as needed.

This has been on my list to do for many years.  If I had to do what you're talking about, I'd be in the same mess!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Jeff Golas on September 11, 2012, 02:47:43 PM
I use different colors for different purposes - blue = data, white = phone, etc. Use a brother p-touch or simliar labeler to print number labels you can wrap around the cord at the boot so you know what goes where.

I am going to take a Saturday and do this.  Even though I hope to never have to move it/unplug it all again. 

It used to be all under control, then we expanded the office - twice.  Now the only easy part is...none of it.  There are a few of the original patch panel ports that are easily ID'd, but that's it.  It all made sense when the cable tech explained it, but now each time I have to move someone or add something, it's an adventure.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Mark on September 11, 2012, 03:01:10 PM
This has been on my list to do for many years.  If I had to do what you're talking about, I'd be in the same mess!

I surprised myself by getting it all correct (with one glaring exception).  Took my time, untangled everything (wish I'd taken a "before" photo), went all Frank Sinatra on it (did it my way), refused all offers of help from those pacing the floor wanting to "get in to the system."  This was on the Labor Day "holiday" with the wife wanting me home and everyone coming back to work the next day; otherwise I would have labeled things on the spot.

The one glaring exception:  I moved the SonicWall around a couple of times, until I got it where it made the most sense in the server cabinet.  Once there, I swapped out the LAN patch cable (one too long for one the correct length), and proceeded to plug it into the Console port instead of the LAN port  :P :o   Needless to say the testing did not go well until this was corrected!

I am ready for next time, which means there won't be one - the state of the patch panels (confusing) and cables (really, really poor) was done under my (lack of) supervision - I should have spoken up instead of letting these techs do it the way they did.  Especially the cables.  The patch panel guy is an old phone tech, and I am sure the layout makes sense to him - his brain wave patterns just are nowhere near a match to mine.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Jim Jensen

I learned the very frustrating way to make sure that any crossover cables are either very well marked as such, or a specific color.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Billy Welsh

There will be NO red cables purchased for that very reason.  Have some that came from the phone tech but I try not to use them - most xovers I've seen are also red.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Jeff Zylstra

Something that I found helpful is to buy a cheap Ethernet "fox and hound" type of device that is used to test the wiring configuration of each cable. I think that they're like $10 or so.  You plug in a transmitter on one end, and a receiver on the other end and check the lights for activity and proper connections.  If you choose to turn on computers to check for network activity by looking at the lights on the switch or back of the computer, you have to wait for each computer to boot up first.  Hope that helps.

Below is the type of device that I use.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ethernet+tester&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13748984525607368684&sa=X&ei=V4hQUPu0LeSkyQH4v4GgAw&ved=0CHIQ8wIwAg
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

Nice Jeff - I've wanted something like this  for a long time, but the last time I checked they were all far more expensive than this. Ordered, on the way.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on September 12, 2012, 09:25:15 AM
Nice Jeff - I've wanted something like this  for a long time, but the last time I checked they were all far more expensive than this. Ordered, on the way.

You're welcome.  I do my own Ethernet wiring which I can be a somewhat fussy ordeal, so this little tester has been invaluable in pinpointing the errant terminal(s) in the connection.  If you are making cables or otherwise putting ends on Ethernet cables that plug into the switch, pay the extra $ for the metal pliers that sets the push pins on the terminals of the cable ends.  The plastic pliers flex and don't seem to put equal pressure on the ends, even though they look like they're down all the way.  My $.02 from experience.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Charlie Charbonneau

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ethernet+tester&cid=483704818313088931&ei=UKNQUJilNaeysQeQuIHgBg&ved=0CAsQrhI

A little more expensive, but I use the above tester when I make my patch cables or runs.  It's been a lifesaver!  Battery is easy to change as well!  98% of my cables are blue with a few yellow and green.  I don't have them color coded, but I do have them labeled.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

As far as labeling, I gave up on stickers and tape as both of those fell off after some time.  Now I use little tags on strings (MACO BB-204, 201 etc).  At least they stay put, but may not be as handy as some form of sticker as they can get tangled up in the denser cabling areas.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Golas

Hopefully some day I'll find the pic of the cabinet from our old Sagitta system that was here. 64 ports of RS-422 love wired to TOKEN RING wiring. Every wire marked with gauze tape..and 3/4 of the tape laying on the floor under the cabinet LOL.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com