Split View not splitting

Started by Mike, March 22, 2010, 04:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We went to dual monitors - What a SPECTACULAR tool for the office.

Anyway, there are a few times where Split View will not split as it should and covers both monitors - looks like mainly when we view an email previously sent and now attached as well when we pull up fax@vantage the menu stays in the middle. As well , when we pull up our formletters list, it wants to start on one window, but puts itself in the middle.

Is there a simple on off switch to correct this?

Mike O'Grady

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

Hi Mike,

Check your video card settings (Display Properties - Settings - Advanced - your video card tab) --- there
may be advanced settings that let you tell the card not to allow windows to be opened mid-screen or off-screen.

There is also a great little program called UltraMon (not free, but extremely cheap) that does lots of neat things like putting a taskbar on each monitor, remembering where windows open, etc.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Hope this helps :-)

Marie

Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Kenny Cruzan

Splitview by far is the best software I have found for terminal/citrix servers to split screens.  For some reason there are some programs that will always open in the middle of the screen.  These include fax @vantage and many of the dialog windows within TAM.  However, for the most part it is awesome.  I also notice Allstate's Allstar (which is a citrix session) opens full screen across both monitors when using splitview.  We have to resize that each day.

As for local workstations, we use ultramon which is great.
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Windows 2008 server, ATS Backup
eTFile 4.6.1.0, Citrix XenDesktop,
Citrix XenApp7.6
80 users, 100 employees, 15 offices
Dell R710's with XenServer

Mike

Marie and Kenny........

Kenny... so when you resize that day, does it hold for the day?  And do you just live with the fax@vantage and the dialogue boxes??

I have checked my settings as per Marie's advice and see nothing there that can be adjusted.

And what about Zmover - does this have similar capabilities like Ultramon? Looks like Ultramon has been suggested twice here........

Thanks.

Mike

Bob

My understanding is Split view is better used on a single wide screen dividing desktop into two like dual monitors does.  Essentially two manageable desktops on one display.  It is also helpful using remotely on dual monitors.  Allows you to see them all on your one display.

Using it on actual dual monitors is a bit more clumsy as it was designed to split a single display into multiples.

Ultramon is the most used and favored product for multiple displays with its smart task bar and more.  There is a free app I think called multimon almost same but not nearly as good as Ultramon.  :)

Kenny Cruzan

Mike,
If you resize a window it does hold it for the day.  Like Bob stated, Splitview is used on large monitors to split in half.  Citrix/terminal server is exactly the same because when you use dual monitors, you are just telling the citrix desktop to open across two monitors and it thinks it is just one large monitor.  Therefore, splitview works great.  I have used Zmover on citrix and it worked okay.  I did not like the fact that you had to program each window where you wanted it for each user.  You could copy the config file to each citrix profile but it took some time.  Splitviewer works way better for us...

Bob is correct about ultramon being very good for single workstations, however there is a price.  Multimon is free and does almost the same thing.  Check your video card software as many of those come from factory with software disabled.  I know we have some that I just enabled and it had same features as multimon. 

Hope that helps.
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Windows 2008 server, ATS Backup
eTFile 4.6.1.0, Citrix XenDesktop,
Citrix XenApp7.6
80 users, 100 employees, 15 offices
Dell R710's with XenServer

What they said :-)

What video card do you have?  NVidia does have advanced features, but you have
to "enable" them first --- ATI and others can be a little less user-friendly.

The nice thing about UltraMon is you don't have to figure out your settings on
the video card, the program does much of it for you...
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Mike

Thanks for all of your replies - My tech is checking this out and wanted to know - do any of you use Ultramon in a terminal services environment and if so, do you also have some screens that will not split?

Mike