Can't get data off a CD-R...

Started by Andrew Carrick, July 05, 2012, 10:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

Tried this disc in several machines but all saying it's blank, although I know it did have data on. I guess it's not recoverable but anybody know of any magic solutions? Have tried slaughtering chickens but the neighbours complained...
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on July 05, 2012, 10:58:16 AM
Tried this disc in several machines but all saying it's blank, although I know it did have data on. I guess it's not recoverable but anybody know of any magic solutions? Have tried slaughtering chickens but the neighbours complained...

The Santeria isn't working?  :o   

I've run into proprietary formats before.  I can't remember the particulars, but I think I ended up reading it in a Linux machine of all things, since that supported a ton of different formats.  Other than that, I would try putting it in the machine that created it and see if that does anything.  Sometimes the software that creates it can create a proprietary situation, and using that same machine and software is the only way around it.  Had that happen once a long time ago. Unfortunately I can remember the exact particulars.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

If it is badly scratched, there are polishing compounds to scratch it even worse and that appears to restore access sometimes.

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Maybe it wasn't "Closed Out" if using a program similar to Roxio or whatever for burning data to it.  Put it back in the computer that burned it and run the app used to burn it.  If no access to that computer, use the app it was burned with and see if that's enough to read it.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on July 05, 2012, 11:24:48 AM
Maybe it wasn't "Closed Out" if using a program similar to Roxio or whatever for burning data to it.  Put it back in the computer that burned it and run the app used to burn it.  If no access to that computer, use the app it was burned with and see if that's enough to read it.

"Closed" - that's the term I was trying to think of.   How can you tell what app was originally used to burn the CD?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Andrew Carrick

It looks to be in good physical condition. I generally use Nero for burning, on ,y PC. Nero now says disc "may be corrupt".  :(
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on July 05, 2012, 11:26:07 AM
"Closed" - that's the term I was trying to think of.   How can you tell what app was originally used to burn the CD?

Ask whoever burned it.  :o
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jan Regnier

and sometimes just "cleaning" the disk will help....unless like others have said - the format or not being closed won't allow access.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Andrew Carrick

I tried a freeware CD recovery tool as well but it claims that there's no CD in the drive!
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK