Power distribution or supply question

Started by Robin Deatherage, June 14, 2012, 10:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Deatherage

We have a Lanier LD625c color copier that we started using about 6 months ago.  When it is in use, it is frequently tripping the circuit breaker so I am wondering if it would help if I purchased some type of power distribution or power supply device to stop this from happening.  I really don't know what though.  Any advice is appreciated.
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Robin Deatherage on June 14, 2012, 10:41:11 AM
We have a Lanier LD625c color copier that we started using about 6 months ago.  When it is in use, it is frequently tripping the circuit breaker so I am wondering if it would help if I purchased some type of power distribution or power supply device to stop this from happening.  I really don't know what though.  Any advice is appreciated.

No, it won't help.  The breaker is tripping because there is too much amperage draw on that circuit.  Too many lights, too many other appliances or maybe one other high draw appliance is causing this.  You are trying to force too much water (amperage), through to narrow of a hose (the electrical cable).  Either increase the size of the "hose" by having an electrician replace that electrical cable, or move that machine to another circuit.  The electrical cable is probably overheating because of the load, which is tripping the circuit breaker.  Don't ignore this.  It is a warning sign of overheating that could cause a fire.  A lot of fires happen this way at night because they smolder for a while.  Call an electrician. 

"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Robin Deatherage

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on June 14, 2012, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: Robin Deatherage on June 14, 2012, 10:41:11 AM

No, it won't help.  The breaker is tripping because there is too much amperage draw on that circuit.  Too many lights, too many other appliances or maybe one other high draw appliance is causing this.  You are trying to force too much water (amperage), through to narrow of a hose (the electrical cable).  Either increase the size of the "hose" by having an electrician replace that electrical cable, or move that machine to another circuit.  The electrical cable is probably overheating because of the load, which is tripping the circuit breaker.  Don't ignore this.  It is a warning sign of overheating that could cause a fire.  A lot of fires happen this way at night because they smolder for a while.  Call an electrician.
Ok thanks Jeff.
Robin Deatherage, CIC

Jeff Zylstra

You're welcome.  Sorry if I was "gruff" or unequivocal, but this is one area where I am allowed to be a curmudgeon.  I often see business owners being cheap and ignoring clear warning signals because they fear big bills from an electrician.  I will gladly pay for a good electrician. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Robin Deatherage

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on June 14, 2012, 11:16:43 AM
You're welcome.  Sorry if I was "gruff" or unequivocal, but this is one area where I am allowed to be a curmudgeon.  I often see business owners being cheap and ignoring clear warning signals because they fear big bills from an electrician.  I will gladly pay for a good electrician.
No worries.  I know something needs to be done, just wasn't sure what.  Appreciate the good info as always.   :)
Robin Deatherage, CIC

Jan Regnier

And to add  - the circuit that it's plugged into was probably not ever set up to carry the load it now does.  If the building has never been remodeled (unless it is newer and just wasn't set up to be "business equipment" specific) the type of equipment available at that time didn't require the load the equipment does now - nor the number of things that may be accessing it (like power strips with multiple items plugged in!)  Just because there is a plug available doesn't mean it can handle whatever is plugged in.

Being in charge of this area is tough - but the fact that you recognize it as a problem earns you a gold star!

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jan Regnier on June 14, 2012, 11:30:24 AM
And to add  - the circuit that it's plugged into was probably not ever set up to carry the load it now does.  If the building has never been remodeled (unless it is newer and just wasn't set up to be "business equipment" specific) the type of equipment available at that time didn't require the load the equipment does now - nor the number of things that may be accessing it (like power strips with multiple items plugged in!)  Just because there is a plug available doesn't mean it can handle whatever is plugged in.

Being in charge of this area is tough - but the fact that you recognize it as a problem earns you a gold star!

A "gold star" was given to both of you.  Jan is exactly right.  Copiers, laser printers, electric heaters, etc...   All of these items can nearly take the entire capacity of an older 15 amp circuit all by themselves.  Laser printers and copiers heat up a drum to bind ink to paper in the printing process.  That kind of load was never contemplated in  40 year old electrical design.

Gene Foraker

Just imagine that all of the devices on the circuit a sucking on a single milkshake with each device having a straw.   Then imagine you put Rosie O'Donnell with her own big straw on that circuit.   There is just not enough to go around.   Put her on her own circuit.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Gene Foraker on June 14, 2012, 02:12:46 PM
Just imagine that all of the devices on the circuit a sucking on a single milkshake with each device having a straw.   Then imagine you put Rosie O'Donnell with her own big straw on that circuit.   There is just not enough to go around.   Put her on her own circuit.

ROFL!   Is this the giant sucking sound that Ross Perot was referring to?  ;D