Print Monitoring Software

Started by Rob Talkington, March 17, 2010, 09:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Talkington

Just had a user indicate to me she printed an email to have it in front of her while she wrote me an email regarding the one she just printed.  We have dual monitors!!!  >:(  I have one or two like that in this office and I have to figure out a way to find out what they are printing without sitting right there next to them all day!  Don't want to spend any money either. 

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to tell me what and when this user and other users are printing?  Thanks for any help!!
Rob Talkington
IT Manager
Salem Insurance Agency
Goshen, IN
Tam 10.3, 24 users

insurebatimore

My first suggestion:  Fire that employee.  Seriously.

My second suggestion:  Papercut Print Logger.  You install it on your print server, and it keeps track of everything.  User, printer, pages, copies, simplex/duplex, etc.

Link:  http://www.papercut.com/products/free_software/print_logger/

Rob Talkington

Thank you for that reply!!

That software is exactly what I was looking for!
Rob Talkington
IT Manager
Salem Insurance Agency
Goshen, IN
Tam 10.3, 24 users

Hans Manhave

I get a NTVDM error several times when attempting to install that software.

Our Ricoh dealer demoed some software too.  Something called PCS Director.  It looks like it can control about everything having to do with printing.  Disallow color jobs, color only at certain time, some stuff to inkjets, other stuff to a larger/faster machine etc.  Either with or without message to the user.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Rob Talkington

I've heard of that but it costs money.  Didn't have a problem installing the Papercut.   ???
Rob Talkington
IT Manager
Salem Insurance Agency
Goshen, IN
Tam 10.3, 24 users

Hans Manhave

I believe the money part.  They never tell does things when they do a demo.  I was under the impression that it was free, silly me, maybe because we were such a great customer of theirs.

Will try the printlogger software again.  Maybe it was just time for a reboot.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Hans Manhave on March 17, 2010, 12:26:24 PM
I get a NTVDM error several times when attempting to install that software.

NTVDM?!  Maybe the software is trying to exploit the 17 year old bug that Microsoft just issued a patch for!
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

It sounds like you have one of those older employees who are RIP - retired in place.   Does this person have a clue how to use dual monitors, or why they're even there?   Even my oldest and most curmudgeonly employees want to do things faster and easier.  But, if they don't know how to move one screen next to another, can't copy and paste, and can't resize or rearrange windows, this is what you get.   Just a thought.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

brinkerdana

Maybe they just weren't trained properly. 
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired