Unable to connect to Applied drive

Started by Andrew Carrick, June 08, 2012, 04:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

This morning we seem to have a random network connection problem, some users could log in others not. However the other network drives were available. We're investigating but if anybody's got any suggestions, we'd be grateful.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Andrew Carrick

Appears to have been a Share issue on the Applied drive, for some reason it was set to read-only not full access. Restarted the server but also had to re-index DBFs to get rid of locking bytes errors.

We're now trying to figure out why the share permission should have changed....
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bloody Jack Kidd

there should be a very limited # of accounts who would have the authority to change permissions on the share.

I would think the event log may also reveal who and when the change occurred.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andrew Carrick

We're investigating. Somebody thinks there's a limit to the number of files that can be open, and it may have been some kind of automatic response, but why we should reach that limit at 8.30 in the morning is beyond me. If we find any more out, I'll post it in case anyone else gets the same.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Jeff Zylstra

I too am interested in the event viewer logs.  But I'm guessing that they won't show that the permissions were actually changed by anyone.  It's one of those mysteries of the universe, I think.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop