10.3 reports show ***************

Started by Bob, March 16, 2010, 01:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

This is annoying and find it displays with most reports.  Whether I view or print numbers are replaced with Asterisks.

Anyone know of fix..

Billy Welsh

Assuming that 10.3 reports are similar to 7.x, then you can try editing the report and changing the properties for the offending fields.  There is a box "Stretch with overflow" - when checked the field size is no longer fixed and will grow for larger numbers.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bob

You may be on to something!  Thanks Billy!

: update

I can't find where to apply this instruction..  Nothing in reports and in wintam\winrpts nothing gives me this on properties..  Where exactly is this property setting? 

Heather Reetz

Sounds like a setting in Excel.  I've never seen it in the TAM reports.  Then again, I'm still on 7.4.
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!

Billy Welsh

To do this the report has to be in User Reports.  To get it there you just choose the output option Save as User-Defined.

Once there, run in output mode Data Preview.  Once the raw data window pops up, you have an Options button bottom right, one of which is Edit Report Format.  Here you can get to the fields and change the properties.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Lynne Desrochers

Ok, I'll ask the silly question. Which report? Where does it show? I'm on 10.3 and haven't noticed any issues with any print outs. I have noticed on my night utilities that prints to paperport the titles are all messed up on some of the accounting print outs.
Lynne Desrochers

Bob

Ok did find and do all that but no go..  I'm viewing Status of Accounts for Direct Bill 4020 and instead of two columns with data I get one column with ************** in place of the data..

Totals are there and are correct but the details are not..  Opening balance, net change and account balance but again not the details.. I can see the checks deposited into account but the amounts are *************.

Heather if I were exporting to Excel then I would think that too but these are canned reports in TAM.

****  Think I'm on to something  ****

If I save to PDF using Adobe, then print, it shows data and prints data.   Doesn't tam use some kind of PDF converter and perhaps it's bad since Adobe works and prints normal.   Isn't preview of reports some built in pdf converter?  So then when we print were printing this same converted pdf even if temp file.  I'm leaning toward Applied pdf converter in my install being corrupt. 

Hans Manhave

I'm only on 9.3, but the report preview is not PDF.  It is just the FoxPro 2.6 report preview.  Maybe different for 10.x versions.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Billy Welsh

Agree with you Bob - either AS PDF previewer is junk or corrupted install.

Like Hans on my version still the FoxPro previewer.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Bob

Always thought I read something in a NG discussion where it uses some kind of pdf converter which makes the previews.  Since Adobe fixes problem (extra step now) would think problem linked.  Logged call this morning on problem.. Still waiting for call back.. Perhaps tomorrow. 

Jan Regnier

Did you try this? ( KB21657)

Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Company Payables, and Status of Accounts Print Asterisks (***) Instead of Balances
Product:  10.4, 10.3, 10.2, 10.1, 10.0, 9.4, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.5, 8.4, 8.3, 8.2.0, 8.1, 8.0, 7.6.0, 7.5.0, 7.4.0, 7.3.0, 7.2.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.0, 7.0, 6.30, 6.20, 6.03

Description: Reports are printing or previewing with asterisks in the dollar amount fields (Amount and Net Premium).

Cause: This problem is usually caused by a printer setting.

Solution:

Try the following to correct this problem:

* Change the default printer in Printer & Faxes or change the driver on the current printer. If this is is a HP4000 Laserjet, change from the HP 4000 PCL 6 driver to the HP 4000 PCL or HP LJ 4000 PCL5e.
    * Change the print resolution in the printer driver from 1200 x 1200 to 600 x 600.
    * Copy the fonts from a workstation that is printing the figures correctly.
    * Check the DPI on the printer. If this is not set to 600, try adding a new printer using the same driver, but with a DPI of 600.
    * Edit the report format and widen the field to see if it corrects the problem. The number may be too large to fit in the field.

If this occurs when printing to Adobe PDF, go to Printers and Faxes, and go to the Properties of Adobe PDF. Access the Printing Preferences tab, Advanced button and under Graphic, change DPI to 600 DPI.

Also see related article: Income Statement prints asterisks (***) instead of balances if balances are more than 9 characters - KB#57077.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Bob

Brenda at Applied emailed me same document last night after I left.  Going to expirement with this instruction and see.   

Mine is kinda reversed, I can print to Adobe just fine just display and any printer print job ****.    Hoping this works!  I'll report back!  :)

Bob

Appears print driver for my local Dell 3110cn got corrupt during the update from 8.5-10.3.  I say this because it worked fine before the update with out issue.  Wasn't until the workstation updates it acted funny.

Uninstalled, did clean boot.  Went to Dell's site and downloaded current drivers.  Installed and all is fine again.  :)

Bob

Wanted to update it returned ****.  After several diff support departments.  Systems support confirmed my hunch.  It is a problem between the TAM PDF Converter 10.3 and my local Dell 3110cn PCL6 driver.  Solution is wait for fix, force PCL5 use but all have tried and failed or force HP emulation on product.  Dell only pushes PCL6 or PS no PCL5 just firmware update to recognize it.

Only affects certain accounting reports.  If I send it to Adobe PDF and then to printer, it fixes job and prints fine.  So it is an issue with TAM PDF Converter..  You'll see that under printers on 10.3.  I thought I saw it in 8.5 too but could be mistaken.

It worked just fine until 10.3 update, had same printer almost 3 yrs.  So something broke in how PDF converter talks to my driver and why Adobe fixes but added step.

I'm working around problem hoping for a fix now that it's known.