Main Menu

HD Fail on Dell e6400

Started by Bloody Jack Kidd, May 31, 2012, 09:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloody Jack Kidd

Yeah, I've suffered the wrath of the hard disk gods. Notebook gave me the good old HD fail the other day and for the past two days I've been trying to piece my digital work-life back together.

(please, someone ask how it is a guy like me does  not have a good backup)

So, another day or so and I should be 80-90% - what a pain!
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jim Jensen

My Lenovo gave me a HD failing warning. I ran a backup, but need to find out what Lenovo wants to do - replace it based on their software indicating so, or wait until it actually croaks. Still under warranty at least.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

Called Lenovo support this morning. I must say it was quite easy. I simply read them the notification message from their hardware checkup software that runs periodically, indicating the hard drive was failing and they are sending me a new drive plus the Win7 install disk since they didn't ship one with the computer when new.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on May 31, 2012, 09:03:55 PM

Sorry - I refuse to ask!   8)
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Mark on June 01, 2012, 09:37:17 AM
Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on May 31, 2012, 09:03:55 PM

Sorry - I refuse to ask!   8)

I'm afraid of 'the look' I would receive!   :-X
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jan Regnier

Ok, I'll do it...... RICK - HOW COULD YOU NOT!!! HAVE A BACK UP?  >:(
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Billy Welsh

My next laptop, whether business or personal, will include the SSD.  Not immune from failure, of course, but generally speaking a much lower (expected) fail rate.

Will at least look at the option for next desktop purchase as well.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Jan Regnier on June 01, 2012, 10:14:55 AM

:'(

the truth is, the ext. hdd I used for backup was my own and I recently took it home b.c. I needed it for Time Machine (backup my Mac) - I was backing up to the cloud to some degree using SpiderOak, but I have not got that running yet to find out what I might have saved.

I acquired an external HD explicitly for the work laptop... better late than never I suppose.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bloody Jack Kidd

Finally got back into SpiderOak - restoring about 100MB of critical data - cloud backup chalks up a big win on this one!
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on June 01, 2012, 10:31:46 AM
Quote from: Jan Regnier on June 01, 2012, 10:14:55 AM

:'(

the truth is, the ext. hdd I used for backup was my own and I recently took it home b.c. I needed it for Time Machine (backup my Mac) - I was backing up to the cloud to some degree using SpiderOak, but I have not got that running yet to find out what I might have saved.

I acquired an external HD explicitly for the work laptop... better late than never I suppose.

OK....you're in our good graces again...LOL   ;D
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Hans Manhave

Great referral for SpiderOak too.  I must do something myself.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein