Where do you keep your bag of tricks?

Started by JohnGage, May 18, 2012, 01:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnGage

Where do you keep your list of tips and tricks that you don't want to have to remember or research every time you need one?  I have a lengthly text document that I store complex Excel formulas, locations of log files I rarely need, TAMdbfr commands, registry hacks, etc... Since it's in a text file I use Ctrl+F to search for a word I think I used when the tip was originally entered but that doesn't always work. 

I'm considering moving the content to Evernote and using tags to identify the program or hardware the tip pertains to.  Thought I would ask what everyone else does in case there's a better option I hadn't thought of.
John Gage
Systems Admin
Knight Crockett Miller Insurance Group - Toledo, OH
4 locations in Ohio and Indiana

53 users TAM Online

Jim Jensen

I was just thinking of Evernote - I was just introduced to it and this sounds like a good use for it. You could snip web content to it, too (like AU posts), without having to copy/paste or retype them.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

GeorgeW

We use Track-It! as our helpdesk software and it has a "Solutions" section where all of us post ...well, solutions and stuff  :)
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

I jot it all down on the inside wall of my cranium... Oi it hurts sometimes!!!!  :o
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Bloody Jack Kidd

I ask someone smart, then find that I don't like the answer, so I google it.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Conan_Ward

KB, doc central, google (for those really odd things that aren't TAM like outlook errors), we also have a few other internal support resources that I can't share the details of...
Onenote for anything thats generally not covered by the above, or hard copies stuck to the cubical wall (inbetween extensions, certificates and pictures of cars I will likely never own).

Once in a while if I'm really stumped, I may ask another human being for help. Depending on how strange the issue is, that may give mixed results.
Former TAM support, P&C licensed in Maryland, LFW

Charlie Charbonneau

In all honesty I <3 www.experts-exchange.com 

Has a small fee that the the agency gladly pays for, but has super good answers!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...