Homebase - Runtime Error 429 - ActiveX Component Can't Create Object

Started by rshartley, April 23, 2012, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rshartley

I've just installed the TAM client on a new W7 machine and am getting a 429 run-time error when launching the application.

I seem to recall this happned recently on another new install but I've forgotten when the fix was.

I've tried re-running ASUPDATE /rr with no luck.  Permissons are not the cause as I'm running as administrator.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Richard

Bob

Might be the asupdate.   What version of tam you using.  Since using W7 think your using 10.x which uses tamclient.exe vs. asupdate.exe

Try renaming wintam folder on c drive, then run x:\wintam\tamclient.exe /rr

Then when done make sure your TAM shortcut points to same file, tamclient.exe.   :)

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

If I'm not mistaken, this has something to do with a file not being registered properly by REGSVR32, and running an ASUpdate or TAMClient.exe /RR re-registers the files for you.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

It might also be the .NET stuff.  When I upgraded to 11.1, I had to run tamclient /rr as local admin on 3 stations for some reason.  I actually just added the logged in user as local admin temporarily and that worked for me.  (only needed on these 3 though).
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

I believe Mark may be right (again).  The DotNetFix executable and TAMClient will resolve this if I recall correctly.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

Quote from: Mark on April 23, 2012, 02:45:00 PM
Also, make sure that UAC is off.

In my W7 class we were told this was a bad thing...other than no longer being annoying, there was something else that got shut off or disabled as part of that, of course, I can't remember what :-)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Bob

I never turned ours off.   I lowered it a little and for most part that stopped it from asking on TAM installs/updates.  Didn't go so far as to turn off. 

Bloody Jack Kidd

UAC on W7 is such a huge improvement over Vista's implementation - I can't see much need to disable it.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

rshartley

Thanks for the replies.  Very helpful.

We are on TAM version 11.1 build 4 and I had very foolishly used ASUPDATE rather than TAMCLIENT.exe /rr when I was installing! 

As soon as I ran the correct installer, all was well.

I've been leaving UAC at the W7 default settings and this seems to cause no issues.

Once again, thanks for the help.

- Richard

GeorgeW

If you are on 11.1 you shouldn't even have asupdate.exe in your wintam folder any longer I don't believe.

We don't. I always run the Filecheck utility to delete obsolete files after upgrading.  Doesn't every one do that? 
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

rshartley

I left the initial upgrade to Insurecom (the company which does the UK-branded version of TAM) so anything left behind is the result of that work. 

We weren't allowed to do a DIY upgrade as other sites had apparently run into problems.

I just checked in the folder and have attached a copy of the file properties.

I won't make the same mistake again, irrespective of the file being there!

- Richard