Windows Update KB2656369 breaks TAM printing to paper type on printers!

Started by Ben Thoele, April 16, 2012, 09:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Thoele

Good Morning People,

We have snow here in Minneasota today and it was 75 on Saturday. 

A warning to those who push out Windows updates.  Last week Tuesday, Microrosoft released update KB2656369.  If this update is installed users will no longer be able to select a paper type in printer properties when printing auto ids and certs from TAM,  they can still select a tray number.  We print to paper type because we have a mix of printers and it's to hard to remember trays on each printer.  This is the case if you are running TAM 10.4. 

Please post if you are experiencing this problem with any newer versions of TAM or with any other printing features.

Thanks,

P.S.  This update can't be uninstalled using WSUS.  Our solution was to create two additional printers, one called invoice and the other called auto id which print to tray number.
Ben Thoele, I.T. Coordinator
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

odd... we had a lady here whose Word 2003 bombed out on her on Friday
as well.  Ended up being a corrupt profile on the server.  Not sure if related or
not, but the timing is odd...  we are on version 10.8.
Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Andrew Carrick

Ben, I'm just wondering if this is connected to my printing problem (posted under Helpline). We don't use auto id here in the UK though. I'm intrigued at your solution - "we created 2 new printers". Can you say a bit more about that please? Presumably not two new physical machines?

We're on 10.2.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Ben Thoele

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on April 17, 2012, 04:37:24 AM
Ben, I'm just wondering if this is connected to my printing problem (posted under Helpline). We don't use auto id here in the UK though. I'm intrigued at your solution - "we created 2 new printers". Can you say a bit more about that please? Presumably not two new physical machines?

We're on 10.2.

TAM has a problem with the print devmode in windows.  We have seen this from time to time with image printers.  This most recent Windows update just made the problem worse.   The solution and perhaps a nice efficiency depending on if you are printing something often is to "add printer" on your Windows print server and then set the "printing defaults" on the advanced tab to whatever selection you would like. 
For instance, we have a Sharp MX-3501n, four trays, a stapler and a three hole punch finisher.  One of the trays has tan paper which we call Sawgrass.  We like to print summaries to this paper and 3 hole punch it for binders.  What we did is created another printer called SAWGRASS w/ 3 HOLE PUNCH, which in the Windows server is defaulted to that tray # and finishing option.  It's also nice because then people only have to know what paper they want not what tray it's in. Anything you print to that printer will come out that way.  This eliminates the problem of trying to make the selection in the print driver properties in TAM.  Which may not work now because of this Windows Update.
Ben Thoele, I.T. Coordinator
TAM 12.2
33 Users
Mahowald Insurance
Saint Cloud, MN

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Conan_Ward

I'll be working to update as much as I can on the matter, but I noticed today Microsoft has released a hotfix to last months security update (if my guess is right based on the revision date, they did so last friday).
Full info for links for any .net version is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2671605
If you're looking for the quick .net 1.1 update that hit most servers and xp users, the direct link is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2712189
Former TAM support, P&C licensed in Maryland, LFW

Bob

Thanks for sharing Conan!  I wasn't aware of update fixing what they broke.  Good to know!  +1   :)

Andrew Carrick

Just for your info, our problem is now fixed, it was down to MS updates. Once these had been applied to Citrix servers, and restarts done, user can use the Canon overlay printing again. Seems like MS busted it then fixed it.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK