Main Menu

Dell monitor lifespan?

Started by DebAmstutz, April 02, 2012, 11:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

What should the life expectancy be for a Dell 17" flatscreen monitor?  There are two in the "bone pile" here and I think they may be only two years old.  Should we expect more than two years from a monitor like that?  I don't have the exact date as I'd have to go through the credit card statements to find the purchase and I haven't been that ambitious...yet.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: DebAmstutz on April 02, 2012, 11:20:22 AM
What should the life expectancy be for a Dell 17" flatscreen monitor?  There are two in the "bone pile" here and I think they may be only two years old.  Should we expect more than two years from a monitor like that?  I don't have the exact date as I'd have to go through the credit card statements to find the purchase and I haven't been that ambitious...yet.

I usually get at least 4-5 years out of a flat panel monitors from various manufacturers.  All of mine are powered through UPS units.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but I have several manufacturers and I've only had 2 failures in about 7-8 years.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Gene Foraker

Knock on wood, but I have never had one go out yet.   I think my oldest (an NEC) is about 8 years old, a Dell is maybe 4 years old and the rest are cheap Hanns-G or AOC around 3 or 4 years old.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

DebAmstutz

Do you turn the monitors off every night or not?  I'm not sure that these were ever turned off, so that's why I'm asking.  I've had long lives with monitors I have had, but I turn mine off each night. 
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Zylstra

I believe that all of our machines have their Windows power settings set to turn off monitors after 20 minutes of inactivity, and hard disks after an hour.   That would certainly help things. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

Not had a Dell flat screen go bad in 9 years. Some have been left on, some are turned off when the office closes. Recently had a MAG screen go out after 4 or 5 years. It was always turned off after use. I have a Dell where the on/off switch malfunctioned, but I tore that button off and now use a paperclip to push the on/off bubble.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Gene Foraker

We don't physically turn them off, but they go off with power saving settings.   There is power to the monitors with a small orange light on.   
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jeff Golas

Ok let's see if I can actually respond this time - just an FYI, if you  have Dell monitors under the 3 year mark, return them, they have 3 year warranties (I think in most cases)

Also out of 120+ monitors, I've had about 3-4 die so far, and all of the ones that died are probably 5-6+ year old 17" models. They have known issues with bad capacitors and transistors like most other monitors/LCD tvs. I'm pretty sure most if not all Dell monitors are made by Samsung.

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Golas

PS - going back 15 years when I used to repair monitors for a living...MAG Innovision was JUNK. Much different/fancy when it came to features and functionality, but quality/lifespan sucked.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com