Dell has signed a definitive agreement to acquire SonicWALL

Started by Mark, March 14, 2012, 09:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

This could have probably went under Security or Connectivity, but I will place it here.

https://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=12588

I am undecided if this is a good thing for SonicWALL or not, which many of you know I am personally not a fan of.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Many times when a computer company buys a vendor it's because they somehow want to integrate that product into their current hardware of software somehow.  I could be way off base, but since routers and the like are so hardware agnostic, I don't see how they could corrupt the direction of development of technology in any meaningful way.  That said, SonicWall does more than just routers now, so I could be way wrong on the rest of it.  I guess I don't see how this helps Dell in any way, unless the online backup solutions offerings of SonicWall is what they're after.  Or am I missing some other synergistic "win" for this pairing?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

I think the "win" is somewhat two-fold.  Dell isn't in the computer business.  They are in the service business and this just adds to their portfolio of offerings.  Also, the article points out that SonicWALL has a nice patent portfolio so I'm sure Dell is very interested in that for one reason or another.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Mark

Quote from: Billy Welsh on March 14, 2012, 11:21:13 AM
Mark:

What don't you like about SonicWall?

It's web management interface mostly and the log.  Logs are muy importante!  I can't stand SonicWALL's logs.  Plus, I hate subscriptions... though everything has them these days.

It's a personal preference thing.  I'm just a Cisco fan.  I HAVE admitted that it's not an apples to apples comparison though, but don't see anything changing my stance on SW.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Hans Manhave

I bake from scratch, some bake from boxes.  Both can be good or bad.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Quote from: StubbleBeard on March 14, 2012, 11:54:24 AM
I bake from scratch, some bake from boxes.  Both can be good or bad.

Exactly why I don't intend to push my preference on anyone.

I brew from scratch and I have brewed from boxes.  Let's just say that to date, brewing from boxes has tasted better. lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Mark on March 14, 2012, 11:24:28 AM
Mark:

It's web management interface mostly and the log.  Logs are muy importante!  I can't stand SonicWALL's logs.  Plus, I hate subscriptions... though everything has them these days.

It's a personal preference thing.  I'm just a Cisco fan.  I HAVE admitted that it's not an apples to apples comparison though, but don't see anything changing my stance on SW.

As an amateur naturally I prefer the SW web interface - back in our Cisco days I was lost  :o

But I'll be the last person to praise their logs.  I don't even think my techs refer to them on a regular basis - only if debugging something.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Mark

Quote from: Billy Welsh on March 14, 2012, 12:22:26 PM
As an amateur naturally I prefer the SW web interface - back in our Cisco days I was lost  :o

I am not an expert by any means, but I do like to use both ASDM and SSH to make config changes.  Depends on what I need to do.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on March 14, 2012, 10:30:08 AM
I think the "win" is somewhat two-fold.  Dell isn't in the computer business.  They are in the service business and this just adds to their portfolio of offerings.  Also, the article points out that SonicWALL has a nice patent portfolio so I'm sure Dell is very interested in that for one reason or another.

?  Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Dell.  Are you saying that they do not make most of their money making and selling computers, but from providing some kind of service?  I guess I'm confused.

I can certainly see the patents and intellectual property angle,however.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on March 14, 2012, 11:24:28 AM
Mark:

I agree with you on their logs, but I think that their preferred method of logging events is their data collection engine, which collects a lot more information than the log does, but requires a separate server to run on.   

I don't know if they offer anything for configuration other than the web interface. 

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 14, 2012, 01:40:01 PM
I think that their preferred method of logging events is their data collection engine, which collects a lot more information than the log does, but requires a separate server to run on.   

That's ludicrous!! A PERFECT example of why I do not like them.  It's stupid things like this.  THAT one goes on my list! lol

Cisco is not perfect though.  For example, the ASA5505, which *should* be comparable to the TZ210 does not do URL filtering without a 3rd part device like (eeewww!) Websense.

But, the 5505 has support for vlans and has I think 2 PoE ports.  Also, for almost the same price as I paid for a TZ210 (government/non-profit prie for TZ210 mind you) my ASA came with plenty of ipsec VPN client licenses where as the TZ210 came with 0.  Now, these are add-ons for both products if I understand correctly, but in a price comparison, no dice.

Again, it's not fair apples to apples though.  IPS is an extra physical module on the ASA, where it's all software & subscription on the TZ210.  I think I prefer the module because the processing is offloaded to the module.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Kenny Cruzan

I have tasted Marks brew and he needs the box ;D

I liked SW back with the standard OS.  When they moved to the enhanced OS, I was lost for a while.  In fact, I still get lost because half the time my programming never works.  However, if you use the wizards, it works 99% of the time.  I hate the way that when you want to create a simple rule, you have to go through great measures to prepare all the info for the rule.....I can see Mark's dislikes compared to other vendors.

I do think SW makes and excellent product.  My #1 complaint is their service.  It sucks!  I think Dell can help with that.
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Windows 2008 server, ATS Backup
eTFile 4.6.1.0, Citrix XenDesktop,
Citrix XenApp7.6
80 users, 100 employees, 15 offices
Dell R710's with XenServer