WIN 16 Subsystem Errors XP

Started by Billy Welsh, March 04, 2010, 05:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Welsh

I have one XP station that is giving us fits with WIN16 subsystem low memory errors. Has generated 3 (or is it 4?) cash crashes in 2 months (so now I am entering receipts in TAM - UGH!).

Currently running TAM 7.1.1 (working on that too but couple weeks away).

Anybody run into this and have any thoughts on addressing?

PC is all "patched up" and we've tried a few things to free up memory but still no luck.

I dread calling AS support as I know I will get the standard "no screen savers, wallpapers, etc." solution.  This machine is no different than several others as far as these items so I refuse to point the finger at that.

???
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Hans Manhave

Did you check KB articles #5918 & #40894?  I would post it here but there are some links in it.

It refers to CONFIG.NT & AUTOEXEC.NT and pagefile settings.  But maybe that is what you mean by "no screen savers/wallpapers" etc.

One thing it suggests is replacing the faulty machine's files with config/autoexec from a working one and rebooting.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bob

I agree with Hans..  7.x and below depend on those two files and settings.  Less so in later versions.

I know your soon updating to 8.5 and will say that is the ONLY version in which I have NEVER had a cash crash.   Moving to 10.3 then 10.4 when available for download.  Hope I can still say that in days ahead!  :)

Billy Welsh

Thanks, Hans!  This issue is weeks old now (been trying to get contract IT folks to address) but I know originally I looked in the KB and did not find these.

I will have to check the autoexec and config files for sure.  I have not so far as there was no reason for them to change.  But then isn't that always the case, and they somehow get changed anyway!

If I ever get my hands on Cousin It, he is going to DIE a horrible death!!!  ("I didn't do anything, 'IT' just started doing this....").
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Bloody Jack Kidd

Started a TAM Terminal Server Setup section in the Wiki - recommended additions for autoexec.nt and config.nt are there.

http://appliedusers.ca/wiki/index.php/TAM_TS_Setup
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Rob Talkington

Don't know if this is fixed or not but I'd try replacing the existing config.nt with one from a working station even if they look identical.  Or get the config.nt out of your windows/repair folder and change the lines to match the ones suggested in the wiki.

Rob Talkington
IT Manager
Salem Insurance Agency
Goshen, IN
Tam 10.3, 24 users

Billy Welsh

We have made some changes based on Hans' post here as well as a post in the "sanctioned" NG.  So far so good - though this being TAM and Windows, I am not yet declaring victory.

I've already forgotten what details the tech provided me (he did document on his end) but I know he moved the TAM path entries into the beginning of that statement, and he added a line or 2 that were suggested in the KB post(s).
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Jeff Golas

I think I posted this elsewhere, but at this point, my answer to ANY virus infection or scareware infection: Just reformat. Save yourself time and headache.

Also - even if you think you removed it all, did you really, and if not, what could it be reporting back? I've had friends get their credit cards compromised by just logging into their bank site.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com