Documenting social media conversation

Started by Jim Jensen, January 23, 2012, 04:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

We can attach emails and record calls, then attach them, but how are you handling conversations on social media sites? I occasionally get messages through Facebook from a client, or today it came through chat. Best quick solution I had was to copy/paste into a Word document to attach. I've printed a message to PDF before, I think. Screen-print would work too, but I wonder what might be the best method.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

TrishaOurs

If it is chat or a message(not a wall post) you can access it from your messages and forward to your work email to attach.  If a wall post I would just do screen clippings.
Trisha Ours, CISR

Billy Welsh

I you have Windows 7 there is a very nice tool for grabbing screen shots - Snipping Tool.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Billy Welsh on January 24, 2012, 10:41:58 AM
I you have Windows 7 there is a very nice tool for grabbing screen shots - Snipping Tool.

That's what that's for? Huh. Will have to look at that.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

Quote from: TrishaOurs on January 24, 2012, 10:32:20 AM
If it is chat or a message(not a wall post) you can access it from your messages and forward to your work email to attach.  If a wall post I would just do screen clippings.

How so? I tried and it said that I had to set up a facebook email first. Is this the correct path and what does it entail?
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

TrishaOurs

Quote from: Jim Jensen on January 24, 2012, 11:48:16 AM

How so? I tried and it said that I had to set up a facebook email first. Is this the correct path and what does it entail?
Let me clarify if you are using your own profile you can forward the messages in your message box to your work email.  I just opened the message I wanted, clicked on the Actions so the drop down menu would come up, chose forward and typed my email address in the to field.  I got it instantly in my work inbox.

Are you trying to do this from a company page?
Trisha Ours, CISR

Jim Jensen

Quote from: TrishaOurs on January 24, 2012, 06:27:17 PM
Quote from: Jim Jensen on January 24, 2012, 11:48:16 AM

Let me clarify if you are using your own profile you can forward the messages in your message box to your work email.  I just opened the message I wanted, clicked on the Actions so the drop down menu would come up, chose forward and typed my email address in the to field.  I got it instantly in my work inbox.

Are you trying to do this from a company page?

I did the same, checking each message in the thread, but when I went to send it to my regular email address, it requires that I set up my 'facebook.com email address'. As I start that, it indicates that I will receive emails as part of my messages. It wants to create a username@facebook.com email address. I did so, but I'm not sure of the implications. I'm guessing you had already done this to activate the ability to use FB on a mobile phone, which I've not done and won't be doing.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

TrishaOurs

I must've done that a long time ago.  I do not get my facebook messages in my email though.  I don't know if I changed a setting for that, but I can look into it and let you know. 
Trisha Ours, CISR

Mark

Quote from: TrishaOurs on January 25, 2012, 10:03:35 AM
I must've done that a long time ago.  I do not get my facebook messages in my email though.  I don't know if I changed a setting for that, but I can look into it and let you know.

Facebook changed how you are notified via email.  I think you can go back in and change it.  I still get emails...
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

TrishaOurs

Quote from: Mark on January 25, 2012, 11:40:27 AM
Quote from: TrishaOurs on January 25, 2012, 10:03:35 AM

Facebook changed how you are notified via email.  I think you can go back in and change it.  I still get emails...
I prefer not to have them sent to my email.  If I want it I can forward it to myself.  I am pretty sure that I did modify my settings so that I wouldn't get copies of the messages outside of FB.
Trisha Ours, CISR

Mark

Yep.  I just don't log into fb, so I like them in email.  8)
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis