Main Menu

windows 7 setup

Started by Lynne Desrochers, January 18, 2012, 12:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I have a few quick questions on windows 7 workstation setup. Applied's documentation for xp referred to amending the config.nt and autoexec.nt. Is this no longer necessary?
I also under Effects, used to turn off fade and I can't find it anymore?
Lastly, i used to disable file types (js script encoded files, vbs script encoded file, etc) is this just old school and no need to do anymore, or if i do need it where is it? I can get to file types, but not to amend it like i used to.
As always, thank you in advance.
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on January 18, 2012, 12:29:33 PM
I have a few quick questions on windows 7 workstation setup. Applied's documentation for xp referred to amending the config.nt and autoexec.nt. Is this no longer necessary?
I also under Effects, used to turn off fade and I can't find it anymore?
Lastly, i used to disable file types (js script encoded files, vbs script encoded file, etc) is this just old school and no need to do anymore, or if i do need it where is it? I can get to file types, but not to amend it like i used to.
As always, thank you in advance.

I don't think that config.nt and autoexec.nt require modification in version 11.0 and up because all of the 16 bit DOS code has been removed (correct me if I'm wrong on that). 

I always set the computer to "best performance" which disables, sliding menus, fades, and any other special effects.  You access if by right clicking on Computer - properties - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Performance.  For me, the computers are MUCH more responsive by using "best performance" which turns everything off.  I also use Windows Classic, which I also think is faster, but that may just be a preference on my part.

I think you're looking for Control Panel - Default Programs.  From there you choose which programs respond to certain file type extensions.  You may have to do this by GPO, but I'm not sure if that is correct or if it's necessary to do this anymore.  HTH.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

All I can say about the two files is that I have not modified my config or autoexec files and the machine is using TAM just fine.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

GeorgeW

We haven't modified those files in years and TAM works fine.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2