Windows 7 Themes & TAM

Started by Jim Jensen, December 28, 2011, 09:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

Have my first Windows 7 station installed with TAM and it seems that we remain stuck on using the Windows Classic Theme. The Aero themes seem to have the same issue - causing the scroll bars to be present when the TAM windows are maximized. I like having the ability to preview a window or "glance" at the desktop that the aero theme allow.

Perhaps the only solution to have both is to adjust to not having the TAM windows maximized. I have high enough resolution to live that way, but will have to discard a nearly 15 year-old habit...much of TAM is improved but it seems silly that for true functionaility we seem stuck with the most basic display of windows.

I also get errors from UltraMon when using an Aero theme. It seems they don't get along, so I may have to give up the new functions in Win7 and live like it's XP part 2.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Billy Welsh

I am running Ultramon 3.0.10 without major problems using an Aero theme.

I also have no issue with TAM but this is not apples to apples - using Windows 7/64 and running TAM 10 via an XP VM.  The VM is of course set to Classic.

Maybe the 64-bit helps with Ultramon?
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bob

Jim your running native Billy is running an XP virtual machine.  I too am running native.  I didn't use ultramon since multiple screens is supported by Win7.   Sure you loose those tools, shoot that over there this over here but it works.  I may have to manually drag and place but it works.  I have not found 64 bit version of ultramon yet.

Also just know too 64 bit browsers don't have flash support yet.  You can run 32 bit versions and use.

Last in another thread I mentioned adjusting display.   I had one workstation set a like but couldn't not get to second line in check disbursement.  Applied support showed me quick fix I wouldn't had known to look at it.   Go to control panel, Display (may have to change from category view to see this), change display to "make it easier to read what's on your screen" to small 100%.  Yeah that's how it reads when you change views.   The resolution was already maxed but the 100% setting did something to fix disbursements.   Think has something to do with fixed fields still.

Thanks to Scott Whisson at Applied for the fix.  :)

Mark

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 28, 2011, 11:14:49 AM
Also just know too 64 bit browsers don't have flash support yet.  You can run 32 bit versions and use.

Flash Player 11 (64 bit) is not supported in Win7?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 28, 2011, 11:14:49 AM
Jim your running native Billy is running an XP virtual machine.  I too am running native.  I didn't use ultramon since multiple screens is supported by Win7.   Sure you loose those tools, shoot that over there this over here but it works.  I may have to manually drag and place but it works.  I have not found 64 bit version of ultramon yet.

That's exactly the part I miss the most, the ability to "throw" a window to another screen. Once my migrations are complete, I plan to plug in a third monitor to mine, which make the movement even more desirable. I may just see if I can live without for a while. I also miss the Smart Taskbar which puts the task bar at the bottom of each display. I did see someone mention that MS is considering an upgraded taskbar for Windows8 that would have this functionality. Seems like a "duh" item to me. Why wouldn't we want that option?

BTW, I'm running 32-bit, different from Billy and Bob (or is that the Billy-Bob combo?). There is a 64-bit version of Ultramon: http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp. I don't know if you can use the same license info from 32-bit or not (I'm betting so).
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Billy Welsh

I do not believe I would be happy w/o Ultramon.  Have 3 monitors and it is just too convenient to flip them around at will.

My Ultramon "About" does not reveal whether it is 64-bit.  My contract techs installed it and it is licensed/registered.  I assume with a 64b version available that is what they installed but then again that might be a stretch.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bob

Been using a lot of betas.  Including flash..  Many don't work well and/or unreliable.  Work in progress..  Some 32bit apps act quirky.

I'll play with 64bit version, thanks!

Jim, why wouldn't Ultramon work just fine for you in Windows 7/32?   I was able to get it to work with some of the W7/32 stations here.  W7/64 that gets errors for me.   Hoping the beta in link plays well.  I'll report back!  :)

Mark, with Namoroka browser (FF beta) flash never installs.  Goes through motions but each time I visit link says need to install again.  Not tried IE yet.

Jim Jensen

UltraMon does work in Win7/32bit, but I have some limitations:

1. Smart Taskbar won't stay on top on the secondary monitor
2. Seems somewhat unstable - will randomly close at times
3. Won't work at all if I use Aero themes

It's quite possible that I need to restart to reinitialize some things.

I know it doesn't allow the window previews in the aero themes, if you like that ability. They've acknowledged that.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bob

The 64bit version is playing nicely.  Works as it should (looks that way initially).   Flash still a no go in Namoroka.   Reluctant to use IE unless I must.  Thanks for the link!  +1

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 28, 2011, 01:41:47 PM
The 64bit version is playing nicely.  Works as it should (looks that way initially).   Flash still a no go in Namoroka.   Reluctant to use IE unless I must.  Thanks for the link!  +1

Speaking of IE, the boxes are now shipping with IE9 installed. Much of it is still the same, but a couple of changes aren't so nice, like using the address bar as the search bar. No easy way to go back to your search origin and just change which search engine you used. Favorites list acts a little differently too - always stays at the foler of them last opened, so you have to close that one if you want to go elsewhere. Haven't loaded FF yet, but may be spending more time in Chrome than I used to.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 28, 2011, 01:06:15 PM

Jim, why wouldn't Ultramon work just fine for you in Windows 7/32?   I was able to get it to work with some of the W7/32 stations here.  W7/64 that gets errors for me.   Hoping the beta in link plays well.  I'll report back!  :)

Unltramon works here with no issues on win 7/32
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users