Recovering data from dead SATA HD

Started by Jim Jensen, December 23, 2011, 09:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

My laptop HD seems to have suddenly croaked last night during a mundane restart. It's a Western Digital SATA drive. I connected it to my Windows 7 workstation and it seems to spin, but Windows doesn't see it. I connected using the internal SATA connections for the 2nd hard drive.

Chilling it in the freezer to try to assist the recovery - am I missing anything to get the computer to recognize the drive?

2nd potential issue - the Win7 key is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but Lenovo didn't use good stickers like Dell does - the product key info has worn away. Since they don't send disks anymore, I'm worried I may get hosed into buying a new copy of Win7 just to reinstall it. It's under warranty, so hopefully they will reimage Windows on it, but what if they don't, or what if I need the key later?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

IF and that is a big if, you get it to run again even if for a few minutes, use magic jelly bean http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to get the key and store it somewhere else.   I have documented and stored all my PC's with it.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jim Jensen

Thanks, Gene. Do you know if it works on a slave drive? I managed to be able to read the drive as a slave. That also means that it may not be a dead drive, but rather a problem with the computer seeing that it exists. I couldn't get it to be recognized in my Win7 workstation either, but my WinXP box did. I've saved all of the data.

I've also learned about something else. Dell doesn't want to ship recovery CD/DVDs any more and don't even always offer the option to buy it. They encourage you to use the recovery CDs and image the drive. Problem is - what if the HD is dead or what if I want to run a clean install? I don't know that it's possible to simply reinstall Windows cleanly. Maybe I should have run a restoration disk before installing anything else. My new station had the same issue - couldn't buy a media CD and this time they done the same for Office.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Hans Manhave

Run Spinrite to see if it fixes the drive?  I have used it with good results. it won't get your software keys though.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jim Jensen

The computer is still under warranty, so HD and computer will go to the repair depot. I currently believe it's an issue accessing the drive, rather than the drive, so hopefully it will come back to me fully intact without molestation. Even if it doesn't, all I am missing is the Win7 key and question of how to reinstall Windows without the usual recovery disk or original OS disk, which they don't send anymore.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Ian Blundell

I get our computers from Dell and haven't needed the key whenever I've reinstalled windows using the Dell windows CD.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Ian Blundell on December 27, 2011, 12:25:53 PM
I get our computers from Dell and haven't needed the key whenever I've reinstalled windows using the Dell windows CD.

Good to know, it's been a while since having to do so. Now if only they would actually send the Windows CD. I wonder if I can still buy the media disk that they didn't want to offer when I ordered, but did on other builds I didn't order.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

I have used the magical jelly bean program in the past...worked very nicely!  I think I got that info from Gene also....
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Mark

Jim,

You should still be able to order the disks from Dell.  Also, you likely wont need the product key when installing because the key on the preinstalled OS is different than the key on the sticker.  The preinstalled OS uses the OEM's master key (for lack of a better term) since they image these things in bulk.  However, *IF* you are prompted for a key at install, then of course it's the one on the sticker :)

Magic Jellybean is a free download, but requires a working/running system in order to work.  It just grabs the info from the registry and converts it to something you and I can read.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Ian Blundell

If they don't ship you a CD/DVD with the Windows operating system on it then the newest Dell computers have a Dell Backup/Restore program that will allow you to create a Windows disk.  You can run the program just the once which seems a little odd because once you have created the disk you can use Roxio or some other program to make as many copies as you have blank disks.
The Dell program also allows you to make a copy of the factory installation image as well as make an image after you have loaded all of the other programs on the computer.
One installation I would suggest that you make a copy of is the Office 2010 installation program.  If you buy OEM versions as I do then you just get a card with the key (which you WILL need for a reinstall) but there is no disk, just a link to the M$ website to download and install the program.  Who knows if M$ will still make this available once the next version of Office comes out and they would prefer you to buy that when you don't think that you have got your money out of your perfectly fine older version.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance

Mark

Only problem with this is that if the hard disk drive is bad and you haven't made these recovery disks, then, well...... umm... now what?

you should be able to contact support and acquire new disks.  I've seen HP charge $30 for them.  No clue what Dell does.  This ticks me off so much that if it doesn't come with a disk or other removable reinstall method, I'm not buying it.  not that anyone cares, but I just won't put myself in this position.

Have I ever mentioned I hate computers?  I do.  I hate computers.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jim Jensen

Just took the Lenovo in to the warranty depot. They asked if I had the install disk or restore CDs that I should have made. When I followed the restore disk process, it didn't tell me up front what it would need and it used like 30 cds! Had I known I would have used DVDs instead. They told me if they get a replacement HD, it will come blank and will have to install Windows and they may have to get Lenovo to send them. My point of view is "not my problem" -it's under warranty, I paid for the Windows when I bought, Lenovo has a record of it and if they have to replace the HD under warrantly, I shouldn't have to pay anything to have it back on the HD. I don't mind reinstalling it myself, but if they want to save money by not including the disks when they sell, then they owe the disk or the download of it if replaced under warranty. I don't think the HD is bad, so may not be an issue.

I have to look into getting the Office install program on a disk, because Ian's correct - just a card came. They pre-install Office, but it's in 'trial mode'. I input the product key, but it's still in trial mode. I don't know if a restart is needed to cure that or not - just noticed it today.

Quote from: Mark on December 27, 2011, 04:24:10 PM
Only problem with this is that if the hard disk drive is bad and you haven't made these recovery disks, then, well...... umm... now what?

you should be able to contact support and acquire new disks.  I've seen HP charge $30 for them.  No clue what Dell does.  This ticks me off so much that if it doesn't come with a disk or other removable reinstall method, I'm not buying it.  not that anyone cares, but I just won't put myself in this position.

Have I ever mentioned I hate computers?  I do.  I hate computers.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Hans Manhave

it is also fun to make the backup disks and have the last one test out unusable.  Been there, done that several times.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Gene Foraker

Sometimes I understand the pirates.

There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands,
hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats.
                       H.L. Mencken
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Ian Blundell

Quote from: Jim Jensen on December 27, 2011, 04:44:01 PM
I have to look into getting the Office install program on a disk, because Ian's correct - just a card came. They pre-install Office, but it's in 'trial mode'. I input the product key, but it's still in trial mode. I don't know if a restart is needed to cure that or not - just noticed it today.

The other thing to notice when you are doing the initial setup if you get the standard M$ Office 2010 Home & Office version is that there is a box you need to uncheck otherwise it installs a trial version of Office Professional (that you've already decided you don't need) that will bug your user in 30 days to pay for.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Ian Blundell on December 29, 2011, 12:48:35 PM
The other thing to notice when you are doing the initial setup if you get the standard M$ Office 2010 Home & Office version is that there is a box you need to uncheck otherwise it installs a trial version of Office Professional (that you've already decided you don't need) that will bug your user in 30 days to pay for.

I must have missed that - I successfully ran the activation from the Office Starter link on the Start Menu, but the Office products still show as trial version. When I enter the key from each product (e.g. Word), it runs through the process, then shows a popup screen very briefly - too quick to see anything on it, then closes. It still shows Trial Product after that.

Didn't find anything about this on Dell's website - may have to call. Did you find a way to get rid of the Trial tag? Also found out on Dell's website that a reinstall is accomplished by downloading the trial versions from MS and inputting the Product key to remove the trial tag. May have to go download them to archive to DVD for down the line if they no longer have it avaiable due to moving to 2012 or other later products.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Ian Blundell

If you have a trial version of Office Professional (and an activated version of the standard version) then open Word, click on File and Help.  There is an option somewhere on the right to remove Trial Versions and that will get rid of the trial Professional version but leave your standard version.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Ian Blundell on December 29, 2011, 04:04:16 PM
If you have a trial version of Office Professional (and an activated version of the standard version) then open Word, click on File and Help.  There is an option somewhere on the right to remove Trial Versions and that will get rid of the trial Professional version but leave your standard version.

I've got a feeling I'm going to be unhappy with this situation. I still only have 1 installation - trial version, despite running the "install" multiple times after inputting my product key. If I have to set up all of my mail accounts again, I'm going to be quite unhappy.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

save your mail account information before doing anything.

I forget the actual Windows 7 path to your profile, but you want the equivilent of

C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Which I think would be

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Roaming\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

All I know is that "Roaming" is in there some where, so I'm sure you could Google or even just click around until your find the files.  Just save everything that's in that Outlook folder, and once you get things ins order, put those files back.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jim Jensen

I keep the .pst or .ost file, but that doens't retain the actual mail account setups. Does copy the contacts, mail and calendar events. It'd be really nice if I didn't have to set up my 9 or so different mail accounts each time.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Grab the other files, too, is what I am saying.  there should be an XML file and a SRS file for each profile (which may just be one profile).

They don't appear to be hidden files in XP but maybe they are in 7?  Not sure, but those are the files you want.  If you were to drop them in that folder on a fresh, never opened, Outlook install, it should open right up like you've never left.  8)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

What model Lenovo is this? They should have no problems restoring it - the repair depot should have images for everything. I've been very satisfied with Lenovo repair.

You could grab the wpa.dbl file from c:\windows\system32 - then find another slimiar age Lenovo with Win 7 on it, get the product key and use that product key and copy in that file to reset the activation.

I haven't tried it with Win 7 yet but I'm going to have to soon...there's just too much to keep up with anymore.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jim Jensen

I ended up having to download Office 2010 and installing it again to get past the trial version status. Stunk that I had to, but was minimally time consuming. I didn't have to set up any of the mail accounts again, which was the primary time concern.

Since the warranty tech working on the laptop believes it is the system board and I since I was able to run the HD as a secondary drive in a desktop, I don't think I'll have to worry about reinstalling anything. So as soon as it gets back, I'll be using Magic Jellybean to get the product key and then promptly make some restore disks using DVD instead of a pile of CDs.

<ring>
Just got a message from the tech that it's repaired and HD is fine.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

Laptop back, no problem with HD. Now I'm trying to get the backup media taken care of it on it and the new WIN7 workstation. I downloaded the Office install program and saved it to DVD. No problem. Windows 7 on the other hand is not so straight foward. Dell says to use their Dell Backup Storage program. Not on my computer. Closest I find is Windows backup option for creating a system image. My laptop took 15 CDs, so this time I opted for DVD. It's asking for #11 so far!!! The really bad part is that you have no idea how big it is - there's no indication - just the insatiable request for more DVDs.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis