Hard drives on desktops struggling to keep up

Started by Jeff Golas, December 06, 2011, 12:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Just for kicks, I am trying the old (which I used to consider annoying) Disk Cleanup utility.  Apparently, I'll free 15GB!  I did notice a Local Settings folder that was 2.5 GB so, I will report back after I run this and sleep through a few reboots.  I think the "slow" complaint is only during first boot & reboot (but not log off & logon) which also has me thinking about wiping cobwebs off some group policies.

Can't remember if I mentioned this already, but I did defrag all of the workstations a few weekends ago.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on December 21, 2011, 02:51:38 PM
Just for kicks, I am trying the old (which I used to consider annoying) Disk Cleanup utility.  Apparently, I'll free 15GB!  I did notice a Local Settings folder that was 2.5 GB so, I will report back after I run this and sleep through a few reboots.  I think the "slow" complaint is only during first boot & reboot (but not log off & logon) which also has me thinking about wiping cobwebs off some group policies.

Can't remember if I mentioned this already, but I did defrag all of the workstations a few weekends ago.

I still set my workstations to defrag at least every other month.  I wrote a batch file the uses the cleanmgr program in windows, then runs the defrag program in sequence. 

I highly recommend that you use the sageset and sagerun commands with cleanmgr so that you can bypass the file compression routines for "seldom used" files.  That routine seems to take the biggest problem with the windows disk cleanup program.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bloody Jack Kidd

My WD Black drive was recently acting up - very slow.  this was on a Win7 system - turns out one of the Windows "recommended" updates did something.  I pulled off 3-4 updates and it was pretty much back to normal.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on December 22, 2011, 01:34:39 PM
I suspect it was this one precisely...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018

That's interesting and makes perfect sense to me why it may cause issues.  I'm bookmarking this one in case I run into it.

Thanks!
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Things I've tried:

Run Defrag but only after turning off the page file and rebooting first

Cleaning out or just flat out replacing the users's profile - mad amounts of cached installer files in addition to Java, Flash caches, etc. Those can number in the thousands and while they may be 20mb, 4000 files copying takes time no matter what.

Re-imaging. This works 50-50..its seems something with the patches does weigh down the PC but overall in most cases it does buy back some performance.

Laptops - checking event logs, some of the built-in laptop software often conflicts with updates. In some cases stopping/disabling a service will REALLY wake up a laptop.

Increasing ram to 3+ gigs - this definitely helps but again, sometimes only so much.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Gene Foraker

How large is your pagefile?

It sounds like it is doing a a lot of caching on the HD.

http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.