Is it OK to install .NET 4 Framework?

Started by Terry Evans, December 21, 2011, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Evans

Cincinnati's BOP software says I need it so their tech pointed me to the installation page.  Is it OK to install this on our machines?  Does it hinder anything else or is it "All Good"?

Thanks,!!!
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Lance Bateman

TAM's configuration standards don't say whether they work with .net 4 - I'd check with support first.

Terry Evans

Thanks Lance.

Applied says:

- 4.0 is not supported
- Well you can download it. It won't really affect anything in TAM
- As long as you have 1.1

Not sure exactly what I take from this.  I think I'll install on an older machine that isn't used much and we can rate Cincinnati from there.
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Mark

Maybe they mean TAM doesn't use it and as long as you have 1.1 you're golden?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Mark

That said -- I have been doing ALL Windows updates with no known ill effects.  So, yes, I have .NET 4 installed.  Along with the forever-taking-to-install 3.5 and of course 1.1.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Alice Mooney

Same as Mark here. Many versions of .net and Tam is working.
v1.1 is required.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Bob

You can have multiple versions of .net and be just fine.    TAM requires ver 1.1 even in this day in version 11.x of TAM (download/interface I believe).   I had some new W7/64 workstations with no .net 1.1 and installation imploded on me.  Once I installed that from the wintam\updates\installs I was able to run the installation again and all was fine.

Yes you can install .net 4.x.   Each app will use the .net version it needs without impacting the others.  Well at least so far in what I've seen.  :)

Ian Blundell

Bob
I'm just setting up a new Win7 32-bit machine and it seems to just have .net 4.0 installed.  Fax@vantage installed without adding any other .net versions.  TamClient automatically starts with installing .net 1.1
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Bob

My implosions were odd and on my W7/64 boxes.  Nick helped me out.  When tamclient.exe went to install 1.1 is would crash with MS Visual SQL something 2005 and crash.  Happened on some existing workstations too when I went to TAM 11.x.

What we did to overcome those that did, (most worked just fine without an issue) was remove local wintam folder, reboot, run x:\wintam\tamini.exe /r which then created a local wintam folder with just a fresh wintam.ini file.    We then went to x:\wintam\updates\installs\ and ran the dotnetfix which installs 1.1.

Then re-ran the tamclient.exe /rr and installed fine.  Conflict with something MS 2005 and only on 1/3rd of the machines during update.  Unsure why..  Most of our boxes have several version of ms.net.  This was how we got around tamclient setup blowing up on MS SQL 2005 or something like that.   The error under research points to .net and why we did what we did.

Installing .net any version with tam installed won't affect tam.  Maybe update later like I experienced but again on limited number of workstation.  Hope perhaps these notes help them if they encounter.  :)

Fax@advantage I do not know enough about.  I don't use the product.  I do know many were having issues running it on 64bit machines don't think 32 was an issue.  What I deployed here 64bit OS to match my server.  Sometimes challenging but I am liking it.   Had to make new VBS login scripts vs. the old bat files we used.

Bug I see and annoying is in reconcilations.   Half the time it won't close out and have to use task manager to kill it.  Then when you do it leaves a white box on screen that will not go away until you reboot.  I was talking with Jim earlier and both of us wondering if Classic Theme will help as it did in earlier versions.  11.x is 32bit rewrite and shouldn't have too.   Going to give this a try and see if outcome any better as I balance the books for month-end/year-end.

Lance Bateman

Bob, there is a note in the release notes for 11.1 that the problem on reconciliations supposedly resolved.  Are you still on 10.5 as signature shows, or did you move up?

Bob

I moved up to 11.0 and the maintenance update.  I'll download 11.1 and load next week.

Thanks for the heads up Lance.  :)