Small-form factor vs. tower

Started by cjprice, December 13, 2011, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjprice

Anyone out there using HP small-form factor PCs? Currently we're using HP z200 workstations (tower), and were considering purchasing small-form factor PCs this year to replace our next batch of machines.

I've gotten a quote from our HP reseller for both the tower & SFF - pricing difference is only a matter of $20 or so, and the only real difference in specs is a 240watt PSU in the SFF vs. a 400watt in the tower. Does anyone have anything good, bad, or otherwise to say about small-form factor PCs?

Thanks,

Casey
Casey Price
The Unity Group Insurance
TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2, eTfile, BenefitPoint - 60 users

Jeff Zylstra

I don't have them, but I'm friends with the IT guy next door and he has a few of the Dell small form factor machines.  He's had a lot of issues with heat and power supplies.  Don't know if that is a common characteristic of these machines or not, but I thought I would mention it. 

Since I usually recycle some of my machines as home machines and also a contingency plan for limited agency operations in the event of a major disaster, I prefer something that is both expandable with cards, and also uses more common components in case I need something later.  But that's just me.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Ian Blundell

If you expect to need to add a card to the computer after you buy it then the samll form factor one will probably need a half height card which is usually more expensive and less available.  This may have been an issue for us a few years ago when I was adding a second video card but I've been buying dual video computers for a few years now.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Bob

Did a few never again.  They don't last as long..  Too much heat not enough air movement.  Can't add anything.  Like Bic lighter, toss when done.   Would only do again if everything was solid state.  Just not there yet. 

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 13, 2011, 01:00:54 PM
Did a few never again.  They don't last as long..  Too much heat not enough air movement.  Can't add anything.  Like Bic lighter, toss when done.   Would only do again if everything was solid state.  Just not there yet.

Solid state.  Interesting concept.  Do you mean just the hard drive, or the whole machine?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

cjprice

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on December 13, 2011, 01:06:22 PM
Solid state.  Interesting concept.  Do you mean just the hard drive, or the whole machine?

Wouldn't that be nice!
Casey Price
The Unity Group Insurance
TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2, eTfile, BenefitPoint - 60 users

Sherry Burrell

I had the small form factor from Dell and never again - as several mentioned, many issues with heat, motherboards fried on every one of them eventually.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Bloody Jack Kidd

all of our desktops these days are SFF Dells.  I think it's for space savings mostly.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark Rowe

Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Jeff Golas

I use the mid-size form factor (not the smallest but not full size towers either...kinda skinny towers), and so far so good, but I do notice that they have quite a buildup of dust on them at this point even a year in, vs the towers that are 4 yrs old.

In the past in fixing point of sale PCs and what not those small form factor PCs do have a rough time with heat, especially from the hard drive and power supply.

I've been looking into a couple small form factor PCs for our conference rooms, they wont be used 24/7 so lifespan should be ok. I really wanted the Dell Inspiron Zino's but they discontinued them!
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Billy Welsh

Our last round was either SFF or mid-size like Jeff's.  I just reviewed specs from contract techs and did not question their choice of ff.  If they start having heat issues I'll get after them for the choice.  Only been running them for a few months.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect