Progressive Downloader install

Started by Hans Manhave, December 12, 2011, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

When installing the Progressive downloader, I can install it fine as local machine administrator, but as local user (with admin rights set on the local machine) it won't install into the registry.  When it gets to modifying the registry it says "Could not write value AlreadyRebooted to key \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Well, I'm the support personnel.  It won't install.  What did I miss?  The machine was rebooted right before this progressive thing.

WindowsXPsp3.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: H2O12 on December 12, 2011, 11:10:38 AM
When installing the Progressive downloader, I can install it fine as local machine administrator, but as local user (with admin rights set on the local machine) it won't install into the registry.  When it gets to modifying the registry it says "Could not write value AlreadyRebooted to key \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Well, I'm the support personnel.  It won't install.  What did I miss?  The machine was rebooted right before this progressive thing.

WindowsXPsp3.

I would try the installation again, using the "run as" function and possibly a domain admin account this time.   I had problems with this installation on a Windows 7 machine, and remember that part of the installation occurred after a reboot, which was troublesome.  I hate those types of installations, since they just increase the chances of permission problems after the reboots.  Hopefully it works this time.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

this is one of those msi files that prefers to run from internet instead of download to file folder. I did not see a 'run as' when holding down shift. are there other ways to run as admin?  or can i give at least temporary admin rights for this user to the registry if being a machine admin is not good enough?  maybe I should pick another machine. maybe Progressive should rewrite their 2007 software.  they are aware of W7 difficulties but could not offer any WinXP help. It should be possible to manually enter the registry key values, I would think. Annoying.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: H2O12 on December 12, 2011, 12:13:29 PM
this is one of those msi files that prefers to run from internet instead of download to file folder. I did not see a 'run as' when holding down shift. are there other ways to run as admin?  or can i give at least temporary admin rights for this user to the registry if being a machine admin is not good enough?  maybe I should pick another machine. maybe Progressive should rewrite their 2007 software.  they are aware of W7 difficulties but could not offer any WinXP help. It should be possible to manually enter the registry key values, I would think. Annoying.

I usually "right click" to get the "run as" command, but there are other ways like you mentioned, including a command line option.   Probably the most "sure" way to do it is actually logging in as an administrator and running the installation, which sometimes is the only way to get it to work properly.  When a program exits and then tries to continue the installation during the boot process, you are doing it with a different set of permissions sometimes which doesn't work well. 

The Windows 7 problems that I had was with the timed execution of the program during the night.  If I remember correctly, I ended up using a Scheduled Event in Windows to get around that issue.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Lance Bateman

On Progressive download - we do not try to run it through IVANS (to save money), but do the download from the Progressive site daily.  For that, you don't schedule it, you log into the download progam and select to download now.

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Lance Bateman on December 12, 2011, 12:51:28 PM
On Progressive download - we do not try to run it through IVANS (to save money), but do the download from the Progressive site daily.  For that, you don't schedule it, you log into the download progam and select to download now.

So if you're manually running the download about 22 times a month, are you actually saving money rather than using IVANS? I'd say not. It may look like it on the books, but that time could be spent doing something else.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bob

I'm not sure it's an option to use IVANS anymore with progressive.   They have gone the way of Mercury.  Doing more and more their way.

GeorgeW

We still download Progressive through IVAN's
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Hans Manhave

We don't use it through Ivans either, but the Prog software has its own scheduler. It was working before the drive crashed, I need it to work with the new drive.  Maybe tonight...

Bob

Good to know!  Mercury used Progressive as a comparison to themselves and what they do.  I was complaining to them during the setup they do everything different than industry does.  Said nobody does this and they quickly pointed to Progressive as using own download app not IVANS.   We use to download with Progressive via IVANs but it just stopped.  Still looking into why.

Lance Bateman

The info I got when I was working on this (couldn't believe this agency had never done Progressive download!) was that if we used the IVANS setup, we had to pay for the cost (most companies pay for it on the carrier side).  We're cheap - so we do it not from IVANS.

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Lance Bateman on December 12, 2011, 02:06:46 PM
The info I got when I was working on this (couldn't believe this agency had never done Progressive download!) was that if we used the IVANS setup, we had to pay for the cost (most companies pay for it on the carrier side).  We're cheap - so we do it not from IVANS.

That's true Lance, the cost is a $17/month minimum. In Indiana, sales tax applies, so I pay $18.19/month. That can go up depending on the number of tranactions you have monthly. For Bob, I'm sure it would be more, but it also streamlines administration and troubleshooting.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bob

Good info Jim!  Explains a lot with progressive.  :)

Lance Bateman

Biggest issue we have with Progressive - they only send the dec pages on new policies and endorsements.  Our standard is to keep a copy of all dec pages, including cancels, reinstatements and renewals in our imaging, especially as it's so easy to lose access to the customer information on the carrier site (especially Progressive).  So we also have to go into their site using the download list, and get the dec pages we need.

Jim Jensen

I tried to have discussions with Progressive about the IVANs charges several years ago. I asked why they make us pay them when all of our other carriers take care of them, especially if it allows them to stop mailing us the dec and save them money. The stock answer was that they have far too many agents to pay everyone's fees. So I countered with the suggestion that they establish a minimum premium or policy count threshhold that would qualify for them to pay the fees instead of the agent, with the rationale that it would cull out the agents that don't place much with them and would give the agents an incentive to do more business with them. Mkting Rep then clammed up and said 'she couldn't do anything about it'. Of course, they stopped sending anyone the decs, so they saved the money anyway.

Perhaps if your book of business is large enough, you can negotiate this into your compensation.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis