WINTAM.INI file

Started by Andrew Carrick, February 19, 2010, 03:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

One of our users couldn't get into Homebase this morning, turned oput his INI file had disappearred. I just used the CTX file to recreate it, but anybody know how or why it should vanish? Didn't even leave a goodbye note....  :(
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bloody Jack Kidd

couldn't say why it would go bye-bye (other than user error).

Isn't tamini.exe /r suppose to recreate that file for you?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Andrew Carrick

For info - this user had got into our 2nd Citrix server rather than his normal No. 1. That's no reason why an INI file should disappear but seems to be the reason.

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andrew Carrick

Keep talking...    (I'm not a Citrix expert)
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Bloody Jack Kidd

If your users are NOT using roaming profiles, this problem might make sense.  We use roaming profiles with all our thin client users.  Also in our case, wintam.ini is located in each user's personal home folder under the windows directory.

e.g.  p:\windows\wintam.ini

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andrew Carrick

Ah, so. Thank you, will investigate.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Andrew Carrick

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on February 19, 2010, 08:03:10 AM
Isn't tamini.exe /r suppose to recreate that file for you?

Just an update for any UK users out there - this works but you'll need to remember to edit the new INI file to add the UK settings section.

Another question on the WINTAM.INI file - over time they seem to grow due to blank lines appearing, anybody else seen this? File size usually around 2Kb but how big is yours?  :)
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Hans Manhave

1.3K, sir.  It's supposed to snow again today.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Gene Foraker

22k.

Ha, Ha, mine is bigger than yours.   ;D
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Andrew Carrick

I bet it's full of blanks
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Gene Foraker

Yup, I hadn't looked at it in a very long time.   Lots of blank lines.   Doesn't seem to cause any problem that way.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Andrew Carrick

No, it's no problem at all, just a bit weird.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Bloody Jack Kidd

well, since we're comparing...

5686 bytes

8192 bytes on disk (thanks to 4KB NTFS clusters)

...and that ladies and gentlemen is how you loose space on your precious disks
Sysadmin - Parallel42