Main Menu

Back to HP Printer

Started by Jim Jensen, December 01, 2011, 11:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

Back in 2009, I purchased a Dell 2230 printer to replace my croaked HP1200. After learning all of the idiosyncrasies of getting it to work well with TAM, it was generally working fine, though never was able to get envelopes to print right. Printer at home was out of style and need for new toner was a good excuse to change out (compatibility issues with no USB connection on the ancient HP1100). So the Dell went home and I picked up a HP2055 for the office. Nice to be back on the HP, as much as I hate to say it. Not one issue with getting it work with TAM - plug in and go. Has some nice features too - bypass tray will hold several pages and one can save many printing setups. So now I have 2 options on printing checks - short stack in the bypass tray with no setting changes needed, or put them upside down in the main bin and pick the saved setup to print checks, which automatically prints last page first. It isn't any quieter than the Dell, but it is easier to live with.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

TrishaOurs

Nice, I recently switched from a Dell printer to an HP printer at home.  Mostly because we purchased a Mac Book Pro and I wanted a wireless printer, but I do love my HP printer.  NO issues and pretty much just plug in and go as you said with yours.
Trisha Ours, CISR

Hans Manhave

Too funny.  I am switching everyone I can away from HP.  At least from HP inkjets.  My experience mostly based on HP8500 models (four printers, two similar models) and a very recent HP6400 or similar numbered model that had to be returned to BigBox store.  I was just considering what to do about a HP4200 which appears to have plenty of toner and maintenance remaining, but has been producing bad copies (even after today's vacuuming and general cleaning).

I need something inexpensive which will do legal and letter size, duplex, preferably color, and can take a stack of checks face up with the lowest number first.  Printing only.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jim Jensen

Quote from: H2O12 on December 01, 2011, 03:28:18 PM
Too funny.  I am switching everyone I can away from HP.  At least from HP inkjets.  My experience mostly based on HP8500 models (four printers, two similar models) and a very recent HP6400 or similar numbered model that had to be returned to BigBox store.  I was just considering what to do about a HP4200 which appears to have plenty of toner and maintenance remaining, but has been producing bad copies (even after today's vacuuming and general cleaning).

I need something inexpensive which will do legal and letter size, duplex, preferably color, and can take a stack of checks face up with the lowest number first.  Printing only.

My new HP 2055dn does all that you ask, except for color. Paid $267 with tax, including a $50 HP trade-in credit (the ancient 1100). I can understand getting away from HP inkjets. I have two gathering dust right now. Still work ok, but got tired of buying ink and scrweing with getting them to print cleanly and cleaning the jets.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Golas

Can you post a pic of what the 4200 is doing? Just about nothing I can't fix on those...love em :-)

Jeff

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Hans Manhave

See that is what I like about this forum.  Not only do I get a recommendation for a replacement printer (thank you), but I also get an offer to evaluate the machine.

I will scan a page and e-mail it.  It is probably a bit sizable to attach as a post.  I have the needed info.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jim Jensen

I should clarify one part - stacking checks without printing in reverse order would work with the 2055dn for about 30 cks +/- at a time. More than that you'll need to use regular bin and print in reverse. You have to be careful with that in one respect - if you don't put enough sheets on the bypass, it will automatically pull from the standard bin once the bypass is empty. Made that mistake with mailing labels and had to reprint a page of them that ended up on plain paper.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

If/when I get my office set up at home (the designated room is a guest bedroom until the upstairs in the house is finished), I want to get a color laser printer because I don't want to mess with an inkjet printer as I don't print color often enough to keep the ink flowing and I don't want to mess with unclogging.  Who has the best color laser that won't break the bank?
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Golas

I had an Okidata and loved it, but the key problem with color lasers, especially if you're like me and only print once in a while...is that they take forever to warm up, and the black toners are usually pretty small compared to a non-color printer, so you're buying black a lot more often.

Maybe the new ones are better but that was my experience. I ended up giving the printer away and switching to an itty bitty Dell I found at a thrift shop for $5. Sooner or later I'd like to get a decent wifi all-in-one but right now I just don't use it enough to justify.

Jeff

Quote from: DebAmstutz on December 02, 2011, 09:28:58 AM
If/when I get my office set up at home (the designated room is a guest bedroom until the upstairs in the house is finished), I want to get a color laser printer because I don't want to mess with an inkjet printer as I don't print color often enough to keep the ink flowing and I don't want to mess with unclogging.  Who has the best color laser that won't break the bank?
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on December 01, 2011, 04:27:22 PM
Can you post a pic of what the 4200 is doing? Just about nothing I can't fix on those...love em :-)

Jeff

Hans, have you tried a different toner cartridge in that printer?  Often times, the drum scraper or something else inside the toner cartridge is worn out, even though the cartridge still has plenty of toner in it.  The other thing that sometimes goes is the corona wire to charge the ink.  That doesn't happen often, however.  My guess is that swapping out a toner cartridge will do the trick.  A dealer may be nice enough to loan you one to test it out if you buy from them. 

I found a good local copier and printer sale and repair place close by, and they do all my repairs.  They'll often diagnose it over the phone and send me a new toner cartridge if that's what's wrong.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

My $0.02 is that the current HP lasers cannot hold a candle to the older "tanks."

I did suspect that they are still one of the best, though.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Hans Manhave

New toner cartridge was delivered today and did the trick.  Still trying to figure out if repairing a HP5 is worth the money.  Fuser and some other gears are needed for it.

I have a 4Si sitting around that has been fixed as often as we care to fix it.  Same with a 5Si and a 8000DN.  Just in case someone is in the neighborhood with a freight line and wants them.

Alice Mooney

You mention HP5...
We have one that will just not die. A supervisor uses it on her desk (prints employee confidential stuff that should not go to other printers) and she sometimes tries to print Tam forms to it. When she calls me about it, you have no idea how good it feels to say that we no longer support that model printer to work with anything in Tam (or maybe you do) so she'll need to select a supported printer.
It's the only time I get to say that and get away with it  8)
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Hans Manhave

It is not supported?  Now that puts a whole new spin on it.  It is on the P&C manager's desk.  Worked in v.9.4.  I guess it doesn't in v. 10?

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: H2O12 on December 05, 2011, 05:28:30 PM
It is not supported?  Now that puts a whole new spin on it.  It is on the P&C manager's desk.  Worked in v.9.4.  I guess it doesn't in v. 10?

I've got one of those too, and it works fine in TAM 10.X.  The newer printers I have no idea about, but when it comes to ancient HPs, I've had really good luck with them.  If you don't mind 12 PPM print speeds, the cheaper toners and replacement parts make them worth considering.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop