Main Menu

eSata card issues

Started by Jim Jensen, November 21, 2011, 02:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Interesting, and sorry to hear that.  I'm using the same card from Star Tech in my Dell R710 running Server 2008 R2, so I'm wondering what kind of hardware you're running?   I think that I used the drivers off from the CD, but don't remember now, since it's been a while.  I'm wondering now if you have a bad card or something. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

It's a Dell PowerEdge 1900, running SBS2003. Perhaps the age of SBS2003 could be an issue? The server is 4 years old, with extended warrarnty purchased on it. Not too terribly old.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

Maybe a bios upgrade for the mobo?
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jim Jensen

I pulled the card and will try it my workstation next, just to check to see if it sees it and can use it. That should at least tell me if it's the card or the installation process/BIOS or whatever else.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Gene Foraker on November 23, 2011, 10:23:27 AM

An excellent suggestion.  I had forgotten that Dell had to put a new Mobo in my server, so I'm going to assume that the on-site tech upgraded bios at the same time.  That may or may not have changed my outcome, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Good call.  You might want to at least look it up and see if there is a newer version than what you have.  Also, read the changelog to see if it mentions anything remotely related.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Mark on November 23, 2011, 10:43:52 AM

Good call.  You might want to at least look it up and see if there is a newer version than what you have.  Also, read the changelog to see if it mentions anything remotely related.

Where do I find this changelog (change.log?) ?
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Quote from: Jim Jensen on November 23, 2011, 10:46:20 AM
Where do I find this changelog (change.log?) ?

Should be with or near the download link for the latest bios.  It's just called the Change Log and is a log of what was changed in each version.  I bungled the words together, sorry. lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

I think that Mark is referring to the "readme" type file that should be posted on the webpage along with the BIOS. The file should describe what has been updated or fixed in the new BIOS. 

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on November 23, 2011, 10:57:34 AM
I think that Mark is referring to the "readme" type file that should be posted on the webpage along with the BIOS. The file should describe what has been updated or fixed in the new BIOS.

Yes.  AKA, the "change log".  Everyone calls it somethign different and oftentimes it's a section of the readme.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jim Jensen

Ah, I was thinking of a log file on the server, concerning changes to hardware that might show something I hadn't seen elsewhere. This makes sense, too.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis