cleaning Canon DR2050 C scanner

Started by Lynne Desrochers, November 02, 2011, 11:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I have a desktop Canon DR 2050 C scanner. It's got a line on every scan. I have opened it and cleaned it with every damp cloth I can find to no avail. Is there a cleaning kit for these?
Thanks.
Lynne Desrochers

Ian Blundell

Can you see if either of the glass bars has been scratched or chipped by a staple going through?  I usually just use an alcohol wipe to clean these when needed.  I think that Canon parts are expensive enough to encourage you to replace rather than repair.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Jeff Zylstra

You might be able to find a used one on E-Bay.  Even if it doesn't work, the scanner lenses might be worth paying $50 for one.  These things are getting a little long in the tooth, and they're no longer supported by Canon any longer.  They used to have an exchange program that for $250 you'd send an old one in and they'd send you a refurbished one.  I checked about a 18 months ago now, and they offered me a break on a new unit, but no parts or repairs anymore.   I guess that's ok.  Scanning is getting less and less relevant as more and more policies, documents and photos are distributed electronically now since it's so much cheaper for everyone involved.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

I wish you has posted this yesterday - I think I scanned ~ 50 pages between 4:30 & 6:00!

I actually have the same issue with 2 of these.  I was going to call a local Canon dealer and ask what if anything they could do for the issue.  I was hoping they just need a "professional" cleaning.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Zylstra

Billy, just open up the scanner and feel with your finger for anything jagged.  Both of the clear plastic scanning lenses should be smooth.  If not, rub gently with your finger nail.  Often times, white out of even coagulated ink can adhere to the lenses.  I've had a few of these instances, but only one was truly "scratched" and had to be replaced.  They also just snap out if you need to clean or inspect them more intensely.  Just turn the power off first.  You may have to use the white half sheet recalibration paper afterward for "registration".  All it does is set the white to dark balance, and also affects the page length detection somehow.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

Well, one of the two got cleaned, rubbed, dubbed, polished, massaged, disassembled, reassembled, ....  When I was done I felt like it was time to get married.  But no joy.  I found one smudge that came off with the fingernail; but the line remained.  Even though I could determine where the line was coming from on the lens I could see nothing even with a magnifying glass.  I concluded it was somehow on the inside and gave up.

Both are spares at the moment so I've never taken a run at the second one.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

Are you guys checking BOTH lenses? If these are full duplex scanners there's the glass on the bottom as well as the glass on the door side that a lot of people forget about :-)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks all for your replies. I did check both lenses and was not able to make it go away. I won't say I got as intimate with it as Billy did  ::) but I did my best.
Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lynne Desrochers on November 22, 2011, 12:45:50 PM
Thanks all for your replies. I did check both lenses and was not able to make it go away. I won't say I got as intimate with it as Billy did  ::) but I did my best.
Lynne

We should mention that this is not a crime in Louisiana.   ;)

Lynne Desrochers

Lynne Desrochers

Lynn Stillings

I have found the only way to get rid of that line is to use that calibration sheet after the cleaning process. That usually does the trick.
Lynn Stillings, IT Admin.
Private Cloud/TAM 2015, F@2014 45 Users
Neil-Garing Insurance
Glenwood Springs, CO

Jeff Golas

Do a double sided scan, then flip over and try again. If the line stays on one side - its possible the scanner element went bad. I'd say call Canon, they may fix or at least give you a direction for it. These aren't $100 throwaways.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com