Started by Robin Deatherage, November 09, 2011, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Deatherage

Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Bloody Jack Kidd

A drive I paid $60 for a few weeks ago is now $160...
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Robin Deatherage

Yikes.  So when do things like this become price gouging or just simple economics of supply and demand?

Anyone planning to buy a computer for Christmas? 
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Bloody Jack Kidd

it's supply / demand presently, with the possible exhaustion of HD inventories early in 2012, this could be a big issue.  Cloud providers and large data centers (google, microsoft, facebook) are adding storage all the time - this could get ugly.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jim Jensen

OfficeMax has a sign on the door announcing that due to the flooding there, they are limiting HD purchases to 1.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

KenH

Just had to relace a drive in a work station, checking Tiger direct & Newegg, prices about double what they were a short time ago.... Yea, this could get ugly.
John 'Ken' Hughes

Bloody Jack Kidd

I was looking through the Dell site for "spare" drives - precious few drives listed.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jim Jensen

I had completely forgotten that a computer at home seems to have a dead/dying HD in it. Not used often, but is the newest retired unit from the office and the alternative is stinky short on RAM. Great timing. Instead I think its time to upgrade a station and rotate a different one out of the office than replace the HD. Yes, that seems the more expensive route, but it is time to keep up the rotation in the office.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

My guess is that around the end of January will see the price go down and supply of HDs go back up.   Simple enough to wait for 2 mo.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jon Robinson

Happens all the time.  Just wait a few more months and prices will be back to normal.  Simple supply & demand. 
System Administrator
Dale Barton Agency, SLC, UT
Vision LAN 6.2
jrobinson@dalebarton.com
801-288-1600

Jeff Golas

I was questioning this even a few days ago, as to how the flooding could still be affecting them this many months in...apparently...it still is.

Like others though, I think there is a line between gouging and supply/demand, not to mention the holidays.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Funny, as I just got an email from Western Digital: "Holiday Gifts for Everyone on Your List - Free Shipping at the WD Store!" http://archives.subscribermail.com/msg/7b60e40665f241d98c71f1a8d1df0917.htm
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

I don't know if it's the hard drives issue or something else, but Dell has now twice delayed my order. It's now scheduled for about a 5 week order time to delivery. It was supposed to be here a few days ago originally but now it's scheduled to come while I planned to take the week off.

When I talked to the "escalation dept" all they could tell was there is a shortage of a part, but no idea what part. I was hoping to get in installed and any other related changes during the slower time, guess that's not going to happen.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Mark

Probably hard drive related.  I know of a large Dell order that is 30+ days out and they specifically mentioned that it was due to the hard drives selected.  Apparently, they have quite a bit of 73GB drives, but the 146 or whatever drives are not available.

Don't know if it's really "quite a bit" but it was the difference of the order shipping out in the usual time frame versus the 30+ day wait.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bloody Jack Kidd

my WD Black Ed. 500GB is behaving badly - and only a few months old. 
Sysadmin - Parallel42