Anti-Static mats for PCs

Started by Jan Regnier, November 04, 2011, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Regnier

We (some time in the near future) will be getting new carpeting in our office.  I would like to get anti-static pads to put under the PCs so static elec will be less of on issue with new carpeting.

Any suggestions as to what to purchase? or where?  Haven't look online yet.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Bob

Rub dryer sheets everywhere..   :o :P  :-X

Lance Bateman

Well, way back in the 80's, we had one gal that just walking by a monitor, you could see it follow her as the screen warped.  Another had a bad habit of brushing both hands through her hair.  We made paper clip chains, grounded to their desks, that they had to clip on each morning!

Seriously, I'd check with the installer, it may not be an issue if the carpet is done right.

Hans Manhave

I follow the dryer sheet suggestion personally.  I am very easily charged and hate shopping at Target and Sam's Club in the winter.  Used dryer sheets in the pocket are great.  I still have to see if they will work as insoles so I can just keep them in my shoes.  Maybe Snuggle can be an OderEater too?

The carpet installer or manufacturor should have a good idea about how each type affects the workplace.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Golas

Anti-static shouldn't be a problem for 99% of PC related stuff now. Unless your outlets are wired wrong, the entire case of the PC is grounded - that should take the hit from any static arcs that occur with someone touching something.

Laptops are the exception...a lot of them are not grounded, but *could* be if connected to a monitor with a 3 prong plug.

The ONLY static-related problem, that I know of, in the 13 years I've been here, was where a guy was wearing a headset  on his phone, kept rolling the chair around and the eventually the headset would arc internally to the phone and kill the headset port on the phone. 3 phones later I bought him an anti static mat and problem solved.

Since then he's gotten a wireless headset so there's no more issues there. In addition our newer phones are ethernet connected to grounded switches.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jan Regnier

Thanks everyone for the info and tips!
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio