Main Menu

Boy do I want to kick

Started by Mark, November 03, 2011, 07:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

So, my 2yr old eee pc had a dead battery. I always hibernate and its set to hibernate when the lid is closed, so I was surprised to find the battery dead. Anyway, I plug it in and it resumes fine. I type in my password, get to my desktop, all is well.  I had some updates for xp home waiting so I let them rip. Then, I reboot and bingo. My keyboard doesn't work. No fear, I just installed VNC last time I used it. I love it when lazy pays off! Fire up VNC on another computer - keyboard still doesn't work. Wt??

Keyboard works in grub & BIOS, but no go in xp. Wth.

So, anyway, next plan is to clear the password with a live usb boot (as long as its not related to a "usb hub" driver). Then, I'll try and remove the keyboard & reboot, and report back.

Stuff you'd like to kick, I tell ya!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

TrishaOurs

I WANT TO KICK MY MBP!!!
Good LUCK!
Trisha Ours, CISR

Jeff Zylstra

Desktops get kicked, laptops get thrown.  ;)   But depending on severity, even the desktops occasionally get thrown.  I'm working on a virus right now that has necessitated me installing XP from scratch.  Wouldn't you know it.  It's the oldest machine here, and the only one I don't have an image of!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

I think I either need a new keyboard , or I need to remove this one and reconnect it.  Wonder if one of the kids got a hold of it and dropped it or something.  Now that I'm done with school, I rarely use it anymore.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Odd as it may seem...i've had a few instances where it seemed the keyboard either didn't respond right or didn't work...do a drum roll on the alt and ctrl keys (whether they seem jammed or not), and that just fixes it. No rhyme or reason, just works. Worth a shot?
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Definitely worth a shot.  I don't use it much these days so I haven't put forth much effort.  There is some data on it that I want to get to eventually, though.

I'm going to try an aggressive blast of air (I did hit it with air a little already but ran out) and also if I find the time, I'll take the keyboard out and reseat the ribbon cable.  I'm betting it's one of those orange plastic ribbons with the white snap-type connector.  I know my youngest used to find this thing laying around, pick it up, and drop it now and then, but it never suffered any noticeable damage and I used it for a whole year after the last time she did that.  Plus, picking it up and dropping it for a one year old is only like a 6 inch drop! lol

This keyboard looks like it might be sealed though.  I remember there was a spill proof or resistant kb option, but mine doesn't look like it's that bad @$$.
Mark Piontek, MBA