Suggestions for Hosted E-Mail

Started by Jeff Zylstra, October 12, 2011, 03:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Well it's finally come.  Our former neighbor who is hosting our e-mail is shutting down their Zimbra mail server and going to GMail.  I don't want to do that because I don't trust cloud based mail quite yet, and I'm sure it doesn't comply with HIPPA either. 

I'm checking with App River (VERY expensive!), Network Solutions and also MXToolbox who I know uses Zimbra also.  Anti-Spam is a must have, so I can't use the free e-mail solution offered by our website host (still checking on that, but I don't think so.  Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a basic package with 2 GB or less of space (1 should do it), anti-virus and anti-spam at a minimum, and maybe shared calendar.  If anyone has recommendations, please let me know.  Thank you.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 12, 2011, 03:56:52 PM
Well it's finally come.  Our former neighbor who is hosting our e-mail is shutting down their Zimbra mail server and going to GMail.  I don't want to do that because I don't trust cloud based mail quite yet, and I'm sure it doesn't comply with HIPPA either. 

I'm checking with App River (VERY expensive!), Network Solutions and also MXToolbox who I know uses Zimbra also.  Anti-Spam is a must have, so I can't use the free e-mail solution offered by our website host (still checking on that, but I don't think so.  Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a basic package with 2 GB or less of space (1 should do it), anti-virus and anti-spam at a minimum, and maybe shared calendar.  If anyone has recommendations, please let me know.  Thank you.

Price the Microsoft 365 thing.  Word is that is basically what the likes of AppRiver are using but without the upcharge ;)

Or, hit up Andy.  I know he knows somewhere that is now hosting Exchange!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on October 12, 2011, 04:00:49 PM
why not bring on-premise?

Not sure if I want to incur the expense of buying something (would need to buyWindows Server OS or Linux), but I could probably find some old iron to run it on if requirements weren't too great.  I looked at MDaemon, but they're owned by RIM (the Blackberry people), whose financial picture isn't good right now. 

I suppose that I could go with Zimbra CE or some other open source mail server, but I don't really want to get into the IT business.  I do enough of that already between all of my other duties.

And then there is the security and continuity issues.  I've been hearing about an awful lot of DDoS attacks on web and mail servers lately.  I'd rather that be someone else's problem and not mine since I have no backup person for IT, and this is somewhat of a mission critical function.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Sounds like hosted would be a good move for you, Jeff.  I am also a big fan of Exchange, personally.  I'd keep looking, check into the ones we've already talked about.  I forget what Jimi V said he uses, but might want to jump over there and ask as he loves whoever he uses.  there was lots and lots of discussion about hosted Exch at TENcon.

I prefer in-house Exchange, personally.  It's worth any effort.  Plus, if you use something like MX Logic or AppRiver, you can completely close off your Exch server to the public Internet (you'd lose ActiveSync and OWA though), or you can open up just ActiveSync and OWA but keep the mail transport part closed to the public Internet.

Yes, there is cost involved.  I would recommend virtualizing it because then you can add other stuff to whatever new hardware you purchased.

I woudl not recommend installing it on older hardware just because you don't want to plan on having to migrate it.  If you were to virtualize it, moving to new hardware would be as easy as copying a few files.  Just food for though for future planning.

End of the year is the best time to spend money, anyway, right?  8)  Maybe this all happened for a reason.  Have NickO come set it up for you and all you have to do is, well, practically nothing.  Update Windows updates when they come in.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Jimmy V uses Intermedia. Don't go by the prices on the web site, give them a call.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Bloody Jack Kidd

just so I get to express myself...

virtualized BSD - running postfix, clam-milter, postgrey, dovecot etc.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

I got prices of about $12.95 per user per month for AppRiver (Applied User pricing), all the way down to $2.71 per user per month for Network Solution's "Pro" version (1 yr contract) which includes anti-spam and AV.  With a 5 yr contract, I could get it down to $1.98 per user per month.  The obvious question is, why the HUGE price disparity?

I am also checking with my website provider.  If they can give me anti-spam and AV support, I might just give that a try before I sign any long term commitments with someone else.

Billy Welsh

What about a combo - free e-mail from ISP routed through AppRiver for SPAM and AV?
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

How many users are we talking about? Do you use email encryption at all?

Comcast offers 8 free exchange accounts with a business account.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

It's looking right now like I will go through our website provider.  They offer free e-mail service with the hosting package that includes 15 accounts (which is what I currently have), anti-spam with white and black listing on both domain and individual account levels, and also some control on how tight I want the controls set.   Since it's free, I can always bail out at any time and go to a paid service.   

My only concern is how strong the anti-virus service is.  Right now our hosting guy uses a Barracuda spam/AV device, and also runs CLAM and possibly one other AV product on the Zimbra/Linux box.  Our SonicWall has gateway AV, and each computer runs AV, but I'm a superstitious kind of guy.  I'm wondering what else is available and/or advisable.  What would you folks recommend?

Bloody Jack Kidd

Come to think of it - you could get a Google Apps account, I think free up to 25 users and pop your mail from them.  Instant distributed cloud + good AV / Anti-Spam - the option to leave the messages on the server as a form of emergency backup, and webmail access for mobile / home use if needed.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andy

Applied Systems offers hosted Exchange ...  just sayin'

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on October 13, 2011, 02:02:05 PM
looks like they've made some changes:

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

Only problem with that is they have been having some issues of being blocked by spam filters.  IT was explained to me that they were not filtering their outbound email or something, and some blocks of Google IPs got grey/black listed.

Not sure if that's been resolved, or even spoken of, since I last heard.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Regardless of compliance, etc, I'd still support a move to Google for email.  Especially sine you get great spam protection by default.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bloody Jack Kidd

what I find odd is that GMail seems to have better Spam filtering than Postini... makes no sense
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on October 13, 2011, 02:50:11 PM
what I find odd is that GMail seems to have better Spam filtering than Postini... makes no sense

Agreed!!!  I think it's got something to do with the rule hierarchy.  One thing is fore sure, I NEVER got spam in my Gmail Inbox until AFTER they acquired Postini.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bob

It is amazing how accurate Gmail is with spam.   Don't think I've ever had one piece in my inbox last two years.   It's only trapped one good email in spam in all that time is well.   

Mark

Quote from: Bob Connor on October 13, 2011, 02:55:21 PM
It is amazing how accurate Gmail is with spam.   Don't think I've ever had one piece in my inbox last two years.   It's only trapped one good email in spam in all that time is well.   

Crowd sourcing at its finest?

I don't think it has ever trapped a legit email for me, but I honestly never check.  If Google considers it spam, then I do too! lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Charlie Charbonneau

Cloudmark was at one time a good/cheap spam catcher for hosted pop mail.  Might check into it as well.  When I used it, it was a download that tied into Outlook as an add-on. 
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...