Main Menu

NAS for Home

Started by Mark, October 07, 2011, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

We are in the market for a NAS for home use.  I really like the Synology DiskStations.  I had purchased one for the office in a code red band-aid situation.  Even had one of the Western Digital drives fail, did a warranty exchange and the RAID array did it's thing.  Worked beautifully.

Since I'm familiar with this one, and I like it -- and I like that I can pick my own drives to put in it, it's at the top of my list.  I think it will come to around $400-ish when all said and done -- maybe $500 depending on which one I choose.

With that said, I'd like to know what others use or like.  We have 6 years worth of pictures and short video that we'll be storing on there, and likely other documents, etc.  This will be our main storage facility, as we don't really have a "family computer" at this point.  I might like to eventually be able to stream movies from the NAS, but that is not a requirement because streaming movies isn't as important to me as centrally storing my data.  We just want to be able to access from iPad and any computers we eventually get in the house.  TV's, etc would just be a bonus.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Golas

Not a nas and probably as power efficient as a NAS, but I used Openfiler for a while and as a benefit it does iscsi for playing with vmware.

Not exactly the easiest thing to use but once you get used to it it's not bad.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

I could totally build an awesome box and I have server hardware available and probably a good TB or more of available 10,000RPM SCSI drives sitting on my desk... but I don't need that, nor do I want to pay for the electric bill or consume that much energy :D

Believe me, it is tempting though!
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

FYI I actually ran Openfiler under my play Vmware box so that comp wasn't completely dedicated to just storing files.

PS - I wish I had some extra 10k SCSI's laying around...I'm at that "band-aid-red-alert" mode right now and my server slots are mostly filled!

Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 07, 2011, 10:39:35 AM
PS - I wish I had some extra 10k SCSI's laying around...I'm at that "band-aid-red-alert" mode right now and my server slots are mostly filled!

Well, if I could do a 7 pass wipe on them, I'd send 'em your way.  Problem is that I spent too much time trying to find something that would support the Dell PERC controller.  Can't wipe these damn things in the server they came out of.  Will probably just drill some holes through them and discard.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Gene Foraker

I recently added TVersity to my PC on the network.    It shares and streams photos, music and video all through the house and especially to the PS3 on the home theater.   Best of all it is free.   It even streams mkv movies which are harder to convert and are not natively playable on the PS3.

It is not quite the same as NAS since it does not add storage capacity or automated backups across the network and only handles media, but I am still impressed.   I back up the data on my hd to an external hd anyway.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jeff Golas

I can get 300gb 10K scsi's from Dell for $275 or spend $350 on 300gb 15k SAS drives and I have 2 SAS slots left in my VM server I could do a Raid 1 on.

Never thought I'd see the day when I need more space outside of email where nobody ever deletes everything!
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Sounds cool, Gene.  Thanks for sharing!  Believe it or not, we really don't have a central computer in the house right now.  The wife's laptop died and I'm not going to spend the money to fix it.  She got one from a friend, but I think it has a bad hard drive, and it's getting old now, so again, I'm not going to spend the money to fix it.

So, right now, my wife mainly uses her iPad, I don't use anything, but do have a Netbook, and I remembered I had a 10 year old PC with XP and about 768MB of RAM sitting in my trunk -- so when the wife's laptop died, I fired that up for the kids to go to Lego.com, youtube, etc.  It's a beast, but it gets them online.  I don't trust this box to store ANY data though.  Who knows when it will go.

So, that's why I want to go the NAS route.  Low power consumption, can put it in the basement on the shelf or mount to the wall by all the other comms equipment, set it, and forget it (put it on a UPS too, of course).
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 07, 2011, 10:53:22 AM
I can get 300gb 10K scsi's from Dell for $275 or spend $350 on 300gb 15k SAS drives and I have 2 SAS slots left in my VM server I could do a Raid 1 on.

Never thought I'd see the day when I need more space outside of email where nobody ever deletes everything!

I think the 10 drives on my desk right now are 300GB 10k SCSI.  Two of them might be less.  Too lazy to check.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

D'oh!!

My file server is a Dell 2850 that uses SCSI...I thought about just adding drives to it (there's a Powervault 220 hanging off it) but I can't justify spending money on SCSI drives when I'm hoping to move to some sort of SAN device at some point.

If you do decide to do 37 wipes, pass a magnet over them and drive under some power lines for good measure, I'd be interested in them!!
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 07, 2011, 11:03:14 AM
If you do decide to do 37 wipes, pass a magnet over them and drive under some power lines for good measure, I'd be interested in them!!

They came out of 2850's.  I have some of those, too!! lol  We will probably dispose of them very shortly.  Been hanging on to them for months because I planned to wipe the drives.

I think DoD standards is only 3 passes.  I usually do 7 because I don't really care how long it takes since I'm never in a hurry.  BUT, I'd have to rig something up to wipe these and I'm running out of time, space, and motivation. lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Wow, I must be getting old.  Swore these were all 300GB, but a closer inspection reveals that only two are 300GB, 4 are 36GB & 15k and the rest are  146GB 10k.

Guess it doesn't really matter since I can't wipe them with hardware on hand anyway.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on October 07, 2011, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 07, 2011, 11:03:14 AM

They came out of 2850's.  I have some of those, too!! lol  We will probably dispose of them very shortly.  Been hanging on to them for months because I planned to wipe the drives.

I think DoD standards is only 3 passes.  I usually do 7 because I don't really care how long it takes since I'm never in a hurry.  BUT, I'd have to rig something up to wipe these and I'm running out of time, space, and motivation. lol

Ship them to Texas.  I know someone there who will scrub the data using NRA standards.  ;)
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 07, 2011, 11:15:38 AM
Ship them to Texas.  I know someone there who will scrub the data using NRA standards.  ;)

HAHAHAHA!  Don't think for a second that this hasn't crossed my mind already.  8)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Mark on October 07, 2011, 11:16:35 AM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 07, 2011, 11:15:38 AM

HAHAHAHA!  Don't think for a second that this hasn't crossed my mind already.  8)

San Antonio, I believe, to narrow it down.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect