Commercial Lines Client Codes

Started by Jim Jensen, February 05, 2010, 09:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

Another commonly asked question, "How should I set up the client code for commercial clients that use a trade name" For example, John Smith, dba Smith Plumbing.

There are 2 general schools of thought, each equally valid:

1. File under the legal entity. In this case, John Smith is an individual and is the legal entity, thus file it under "SMITHJO1   John Smith, dba Smith Plumbing". Then add another entry, "Smith Plumbing", put "see John Smith, dba Smith Plumbing" in the address line and set the client code to cross-reference. The logic here is that the forms and applications should follow the legal entity for the Named Insured and John Smith should be the Named insured, since Smith Plumbing is not a legal entity, but just a trade name they use. If the legal entity is Smith Plumbing, Inc., then file it under SMITH-1.

2. File it under the trade name, "Smith Plumbing, John Smith dba". Here, use the SMITH-1 client code and consider a cross-reference under John Smith (SMITJO1). The logic here is to use the name that they are most commonly called for quick reference to find the file.

One can also use the conglomerate feature to tie the two references together. Some agencies have client code naming conventions that don't use the Applied default naming method. If so, simply apply your naming policy to either 1 or 2 above and be consistent.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Robin Deatherage

Very good Jim, also noticed the cross reference/plug you did.  Gave you some good karma just now.   ;)
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Robin Deatherage on February 05, 2010, 09:55:06 AM
Very good Jim, also noticed the cross reference/plug you did.  Gave you some good karma just now.   ;)

Yes, I do give a little sigh when I see the exact same question as was posed a week ago and don't feel like repeating myself a lot. I always told mom that a great way to get me not to do something was to repeatedly tell me to do so. So now on this subject, I can simply respond with a link.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis