Recommendation for USB Hard Drive Adapter

Started by Billy Welsh, August 30, 2011, 04:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Welsh

I've got some moldy oldies around here and its time for spring cleaning.  I'd like to just pull the drives out and discard the cases but I need a good reliable way to read the drives.  Mix of laptops & desktops, some quite old (I'm a packrat).

Recommendations, please!

TIA!
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bob

You mean like a universal USB kit..  Handles most any drive and converts to USB so you can plug in and copy contents.  Picture below and link.  One of many out there.  Hans posted one back couple years ago and I bought it.  Advertised as the USB swissknife for hard drives.  Works well but no idea where I got it now.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Drivewire-Universal-Adapter-2-5IN/dp/B000QY9KIS

Mark

I have one similar to the one pictured in Bob's post and it works great.  You wouldn't believe how often it gets used outside and inside the office.  Actually, probably gets used more outside of the office.

I've used it for malware & virus scanning, wiping drives, data recovery, MacGyver backups, new computer data migrations, even did something with my nephew's PS3 hard drive.  In fact, mine's been used so much that the power cable went bad (uses standard computer power cable though).

They are very useful.  Probably the best tool I've purchased for under $20, hands down.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Golas

FYI - just a tip, I have 3-4 of those and they are friggin awesome, however for some older drives, I've had issues with the power brick running the drives. IE - they work for some but not others - the drive will spin up and act like it's working, but it won't function. Using a computer power supply to power the drive it worked fine, so just be aware if for some reason a drive doesn't seem to respond, it may not be the drive or the adapter is bad.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on August 31, 2011, 09:27:51 AM
FYI - just a tip, I have 3-4 of those and they are friggin awesome, however for some older drives, I've had issues with the power brick running the drives. IE - they work for some but not others - the drive will spin up and act like it's working, but it won't function. Using a computer power supply to power the drive it worked fine, so just be aware if for some reason a drive doesn't seem to respond, it may not be the drive or the adapter is bad.

Oh, I've had a problem that sounds kind of like this but it seems to be the order in which everything is plugged in.  I never remember the order that causes it or the order that fixes it, lol.  I just play with plugging in the power first, then the USB, switch it up, etc until it's recognized.

Maybe a different problem, but sounds similar.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

I have the interface plugged into the drive, but not the usb jack, power up the drive first THEN plug in the usb cord. Theoretically that should make it match the bootup process.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on September 01, 2011, 01:17:31 PM
I have the interface plugged into the drive, but not the usb jack, power up the drive first THEN plug in the usb cord. Theoretically that should make it match the bootup process.

Right. Sometimes switching it up will trick it into working. Soerimes not.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

Thanks to all for your input.  Just ordered the one in the photo.

I had looked at it before posting, but the zillion+ reviews at Amazon were too much for me.  I had glanced thru some of the complaints when I realized I could get a better and more trusted opinion here.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Gene Foraker

Hmmm, I just realized that may work for another purpose for me also.   I have a small cheap Netbook computer I use for traveling.   It has no cd drive internally, I have just been using usb thumbdrives or downloads from the 'net to install and load items.   This could probably also connect to a spare cd or dvd drive to hook up externally, right?   It might be ugly without a case, but so what?
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Bob

Quote from: Gene Foraker on September 01, 2011, 02:31:41 PM
Hmmm, I just realized that may work for another purpose for me also.   I have a small cheap Netbook computer I use for traveling.   It has no cd drive internally, I have just been using usb thumbdrives or downloads from the 'net to install and load items.   This could probably also connect to a spare cd or dvd drive to hook up externally, right?   It might be ugly without a case, but so what?

In theory it should..  Never tried.   Nice tool to have around for many reasons, most never planned.  :)

KenH

I have tried, but failed to get the device working with a CD.  Not sure why, but never did get the thing to work.  I admit to giving up rather quickly, since copying the cd to a hd using another computer, then just plugging the hard drive in using the device solved my needs at the time.
John 'Ken' Hughes

Mark

Quote from: Gene Foraker on September 01, 2011, 02:31:41 PM

I've considered this as well, but never did try.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Gene Foraker

Meh, there are plenty external drives available. 

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3jmwm7a

I was just wondering it it would do double duty with a spare drive designed for internal use.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jeff Golas

I've had them work with CD drives - but your results may vary ;-)
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24