Client with email address "rr.com"

Started by Jan Regnier, February 03, 2010, 04:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Regnier

We have had a couple occasions recently with people that have email addresses containing "rr.com"  The emails are refused - different areas of the country... one was in Florida the other was in North Carolina.  The return message is " server refused to talk to me: 554 5.7.1 - Error: Mail refused"  I looked up the error for that service and it indicated it was blocking the email address the message was coming from....

Anyone have this issue with this service? 
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Gene Foraker

Time Warner has their "road runner" use part of that in their addresses, depending upon where you live.    I have an email address XgforakerX@neo.rr.com (without the "X"'s.)     I suppose the neo is for North East Ohio.    Never had a problem with any of these addresses.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Bloody Jack Kidd

are you saying you cannot send to them, or they cannot send to you?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jan Regnier

Our emails are blocked when we send.  We got an email from the NC client that took 6 hrs to show up - new emails and replies to him get blocked.
Jan Regnier

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Jan Regnier on February 04, 2010, 10:15:47 AM

Our emails are blocked when we send.  We got an email from the NC client that took 6 hrs to show up - new emails and replies to him get blocked.

Seeing how it's a 500 series (permanent) error, I would suspect the client's ISP (RoadRunner?) is running some kind of filter or DNSBL that is blocking your emails.  Being an ISP and not a server run by the client directly, working around this is going to be more difficult.

first I would check to see if your mail server has found it's way onto a blacklist of somekind:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Robin Deatherage

Jan, we've run into this before.  We have an office in NC and the only thing I could ever figure was causing it is the ISP did have some kind of filter, like Rick said.  Never could actually solve it so as a work around I have the producer sending mail to this client from his gmail account and then cc his office address.  There is actually only 1 client that I'm aware of this has happened with, an aggravation for sure, but not a big problem. 
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Jan Regnier

I notified our email vendor to see if they can work on it from their end.  If nothing happens - then that's the end of it - I don't plan on spending any time on it.  I just like things to WORK and it frustrates me to have issues like this....   I just needed to be sure it's  something I don't have control over.   Hey....if rr.com doesn' t like me.....well - I have PLENTY of friends  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Email vendor tech was in the area today and stopped by!  He is taking ownership of the issue indicated he would contact the offending email server and finding out what the problem is.  I'll post whatever info he gets back to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok - vendor got back to me....  They have  system in place to watch that they are not on spamblock lists - apparently this one was missed - it has been on the rr.com block list since 9/2009. They have requested the block be lifted and indicated it would approx 10 hours for that to be accomplished....apparently the person who has to push the button must work part time!
Jan Regnier

Robin Deatherage

Quote from: Jan Regnier on February 04, 2010, 11:16:03 AM
Ok - vendor got back to me....  They have  system in place to watch that they are not on spamblock lists - apparently this one was missed - it has been on the rr.com block list since 9/2009. They have requested the block be lifted and indicated it would approx 10 hours for that to be accomplished....apparently the person who has to push the button must work part time!

Way to go Jan!
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations