Opening Excel attachments in TAM

Started by Andrew Carrick, August 17, 2011, 11:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

We have one user who when she clicks on an Excel Attachment to edit, gets a dialog window instead, as if the application is looking for the file. Is there a setting somewhere that she's missing? I have checked her wintam.ini file.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Matthew Udovich

Could it be the file associations have gone wonkers?

Andrew Carrick

She can open xls and xlsx files outside of TAM without any problem, so I'm not sure.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Andrew Carrick

Well, turns out it was the file association. Thanks Matthew. Weird, not sure how it would happen.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Matthew Udovich

Don't mention it!  :D It was a shot in the dark, but it sounded similar to a problem we get with Word docs here. I don't know how nor why it happens neither  :o
Weird is right, especially since they opened quite right outside of TAM.

Cheers!

-Matthew

Jeff Zylstra

I've had this happen with Windows updates.  Doesn't even have to be an Office update, just a winderz update.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Andrew Carrick

Odd that just one PC should go though. We have 100+ Dell PCs all roughly same age and condition, OS, applications etc, and no-one else has reported.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on August 18, 2011, 09:53:10 AM
Odd that just one PC should go though. We have 100+ Dell PCs all roughly same age and condition, OS, applications etc, and no-one else has reported.

I thought the same until I looked at who was and was not applying Windows updates on their machines and noticed that the updates were all over the place in terms of what had been updated and the different versions running on my machines.  I now do updates from a WSUS server, so I can control some of this.  Now when I screw something up, EVERYBODY yells at me at once!  It's so nice to have harmony in the office rather than the cacophony of discordant voices.  ;)
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK