Assistance needed to explain the benefits of the costs of attending TENCon

Started by Matthew Udovich, July 25, 2011, 12:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Udovich

:o apparently if it doesn't come from them it's crrrrap! ???

Our 'pointy haired'  :P management group needs me to outline the benefits of the expense of TEnCon to the Agency, I've started a spreadsheet for the costs and I am working on the benefits. If anyone has a few minutes and wouldn't mind throwing out their lists of the benefits, I'd really appreciate it. I am not a marketing person, I'm more of a matter of fact kind a guy and I feel I need to 'sell' this to them. ::)

Also, does anyone know the rate at the Gaylord or if there are better accommodations elsewhere?

TIA :-)

-Matthew

Bob

I would contact ASCnet office.  They have all kinds of materials explaining why and selling TENcon.   You would be armed much quicker than asking for opinions that may or may not sell them.

Gaylord to me is the problem and it prices many out of attending..  Expensive Hotel, all of them are.  Many will stay elsewhere in more affordable hotels then drive or walk to Gaylord for classes and for networking with friends.

Good Luck!  :)

Lance Bateman

Gaylord rates for TENCon attendees are different from their regular rates, so check the ASCNet brochure.

Networking is one big thing - TENCon is where I eventually got the information and comparisons to make the decision on an imaging program, in the vendors' display area - and we found a 38% ROI over three years on that expense.

Classes give you so much more info than you'll get online.

And the time you spend when you find others with your similar questions or setup is key.

This is not one of those conferences where you maybe go to a big meeting then play the rest of the time.  Plan on being in some session or talking to Applied people or vendors from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM daily.

brinkerdana

What Lance said!  Not only are the classes of incredible value, but networking with other users and hearing how they solved problems is invaluable!

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jeff Golas

Hotel is $199 a night, but you can find many other deals at other local hotels.

For me...here's my benefit list...

1. Networking - Get to talk shop (and whatever else) with people who do exactly what you do - not something you can accomplish locally (or ever for that matter). Not only can you make some friends but the people you meet can be an ongoing source of help or comradary - especially using something like Skype.

2. Classes - They're building up the classes now - I'll admit they were getting stale for a while and honestly when asked I admitted that I don't always take a class every period - if you find a person or group to discuss something thats important to you or your job...then why force yourself into a class? That said the classes at the past Tencon and Summit were pretty good!

3. Vendors - get a chance to see what vendors are out there - you may find something you need, and usually the people manning the vendor booths are often owners or very knowledgable about their products. (And if all else fails double the weight of your luggage with free shwag!)

4. Battery Recharge - a benefit I came to realize after the first few Tencons - sometimes you just have to be outside the building (see:box) for a bit to start thinking up new ideas and things you can do to make stuff run better or things to check when you get back.  Especially when you see how well your dial-in systems and procedures work ;-) Also being around people who have to deal with the same crap you do tends to help your stress levels when you see you're not alone.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Lynne Desrochers

Everything Jeff said, underline 10 times # 1 and #4. The ideas you bring back and are then implement in the agency are invaluable.
Lynne Desrochers

DebAmstutz

Be sure you have an understanding with the owners/management that ideas you bring back can and will be implemented.  If they're looking for answers to certain questions, you can bring them back but they need to be prepared that the answer is not quite what they thought it would/should be, but the workflow/software/whatever needs to be done anyway, with their backing it up and not backing down to employees not wanting to change something.   Also, you'll have A LOT of Applied people you can talk directly with and get to know, and when you have a problem, you can go directly to someone you actually know and get it resolved.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jan Regnier

I have not been to TENCon - but....... as I always told the members of our local users group - it's not necessarily the TOPIC that's the reason for attending (a meeting)- it's the information that you gather when things are OFF-topic  or over lunch or dinner.  One can't view the "classes" as the only place to learn.  Networking is a valuable tool....even the Pointy Haired people should understand the importance of networking....
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Andy

System utilization.  You want to learn how to get the absolute most out of the technology investment they are paying for anyway.  They already bought the technology ... now send someone to learn how to squeeze every last penny out of it.

Better more efficient workflows = more time upselling, cross-selling, selling and servicing customers = $$$$$$

Learn how to turn all that data into $$$

Networking - find similiar agencies with similar issues and how THEY overcame.

(and if that doesn't sell them ... tell them I'll be there!)  ;)

Lynne Desrochers

Lynne Desrochers

Kenny Cruzan

I have been to TENCON the last 9 years and believe me you should stay home.  Your LIVER will thank you!

Seriously, the networking outweighs everything.  I talk to many friends from TENCON daily and there can't be a price put on that because we all share ideas.  Most insurance owners are producers so ask them if they think networking is important in selling insurance.  If yours says no, then he/she  probably does not have the money to send you.
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Windows 2008 server, ATS Backup
eTFile 4.6.1.0, Citrix XenDesktop,
Citrix XenApp7.6
80 users, 100 employees, 15 offices
Dell R710's with XenServer

Coral

The first year I went to Tencon I came back with so much info that my boss has never again questioned sending me. In most years he sends 2.
Coral Benton
Epic Online