Hotfixes

Started by Jim Jensen, June 29, 2011, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Deatherage

It is a great suggestion Jim.  Thanks for bringing it up.
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Billy Welsh

Add me to those saying we need improved communication on these.  Put the cold-fixes in Facts Express; use that same e-mail database that finds me for Facts Express and Marketing stuff to let me know there is a hot-fix.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Matthew Udovich

I'll probably hate mail and smited for this, but someone has to stand up for Andy here, or am i the only one that reads the fact express any more, because info about the hotfix was in the Jan and March edition. And a piece about the noteworthy itmes being updated in the Feb edition. 10.7 was just released in December.

How many methods of communication do you want to get bombarded with people?  :o

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Matthew Udovich on June 30, 2011, 02:57:35 PM
I'll probably hate mail and smited for this, but someone has to stand up for Andy here, or am i the only one that reads the fact express any more, because info about the hotfix was in the Jan and March edition. And a piece about the noteworthy itmes being updated in the Feb edition. 10.7 was just released in December.

First, we are not picking on Andy.  We are picking on AS, and he just happens to be AS' official rep in here.

Second, some of us like me wear many hats, and reading Facts Express just does not make it to the top of the list.  An e-mail with a subject "10.7 Hot-Fix" WILL get read, QUICKLY.  A Facts entry is fine, but again as a hot-fix I feel it needs special attention - it is something that is critical enough that it could not wait for the next dot release, after all.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Robin Deatherage

Quote from: Matthew Udovich on June 30, 2011, 02:57:35 PM

Hi Matthew.  Just for the record, I would never smite you for offering an opinion.   :)  And I did think about this myself and here is my opinion. 

I, with my short attention span, have a tendency not to remember items like this from that many months past if it's not something I am interested in at the time I'm reading it.  So, if I am interested in June, there is no way I'm going to remember it being listed in the January Facts Express.  At the time I'm ready and or having a problem I would simply like to be able to go to the download area or wherever, and see if there is a hot fix available and what it's supposed to actually fix.

Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Bob

Seems to me easy enough that if one person from AU read this hotfix on facts express, they could post here and make others aware.   Problem solved!  :)

Just sayin...  :)

Mark

I skim fact express, but sometimes not until I realize I have more than one waiting to be read.  I think I'd have to agree about having Hotfix info available somewhere though.  I personally wouldn't care if it was via email because I am always about 1 version series behind (on purpose) anway, so I'd like to be able to find it and read about it on-demand.

+1 for Matthew for sticking up for Andy!  ;D
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Mark

Quote from: Bob Connor on June 30, 2011, 03:24:31 PM

Seems to me easy enough that if one person from AU read this hotfix on facts express, they could post here and make others aware.   Problem solved!  :)

..and +1 for Bob because that is an obvious, yet excellent, suggestion!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

Elegantly simple!

But how does that help the poor unenlightened souls who are not signed up here?

If it warrants a hot-fix and therefore cannot wait until the next dot-release, then it warrants a spot on the downloads page until it is incorporated into a dot-release.  And an e-mail.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

GeorgeW

That's great for the users that are on this forum, but many Applied customers aren't....just saying.....  :)

Quote from: Bob Connor on June 30, 2011, 03:24:31 PM

George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

GeorgeW

Maybe I'm dreaming, but isn't there a hotfix for 10.8 out now?  I haven't seen that in Facts Express, but if I'm dreaming then it wouldn't be there....    :-\

EDIT:  Found what I was dreaming about in "The Community" ...Applied stated a hotfix for 10.8 was being worked on to correct a problem with download messing up policy numbers in history.   Now, the only way you would know about this problem is if you have it or you read it in the Community.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Bob

I agree and I'll say about 80% of applied users are not even ASCnet members.  Just because they buy the product doesn't mean they sign up.   Tools are in place.   Applied sends out facts express/news letter to all their client who use their products.   I believe not just those in users groups.

Power of a group is sharing!   Does no good to know something and keep to self.   Obviously some missed this announcement and good example.  We all work together, we bring lots of information and value, lets not forget some fun times too!

Others missing out, might get word there is a place to get help, stay informed and have fun networking with peers..  It's all of us new and old collectively working together, simple things like a post saying I read this and thought I would share.   Nothing in life is perfect but nobody applies the KISS principal anymore..

I often say Life is not complicated.  People tend to complicate their lives..  More focus on KISS and not the what if's..  When we over complicate, well, lets just say been there done that, no fun it..   Why I like AU.  JMHO!  :)

Andy

Let's all simmer down a bit.

Bob has a great idea - which will help out those in here, tremendously.  Another good idea is to read the facts express ... if you see an update or something of note, put a post it on your desk or tie a string around your finger.  Another good idea is for applied systems to look into a different way of notifying technical contacts of available hotfixes.

I think combined, this should address the issue.

Thanks to all - I don't take it as pickin' on me (though I am appreciative of my 'heroes'.) - you are all just very passionate about IT, your systems and your businesses.  Applied Systems LOVES that.  Always appreciate your input.

The only thing that slightly steamed my clams - is getting called out on subject lines.  I am in the Marketing department (one of 9) in a company of 800+.  I cannot / will not replace support.  As much as I try to bring your issues to light, and serve as the AS Ambassador to AU ... i can't always resolve.  And when this initial post went out ... it also went out on the AU twitter feed - with me being called out.

Just sayin' - in closing, reread the bold paragraph.

DebAmstutz

First thing I look at in the Facts Express is the new customer section to see if any are in my chapter area.  Then I look at the rest of it.  I never thought to pass on anything from it as I figured everyone got it and read it! 
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Andy Riegler on June 30, 2011, 04:17:11 PM
The only thing that slightly steamed my clams - is getting called out on subject lines.  I am in the Marketing department (one of 9) in a company of 800+.  I cannot / will not replace support.  As much as I try to bring your issues to light, and serve as the AS Ambassador to AU ... i can't always resolve.  And when this initial post went out ... it also went out on the AU twitter feed - with me being called out.

Shucks, I just wanted to make sure you saw it - it wasn't in anger or anything. I know you're not in support, but you're listening here and offering responses. Marketing is often a great representative of the masses. Granted, I forgot about the twitter feed since I don't use it. Sorry about that piece. I've got no big steam clouds shooting out of my head, I just think it warrants being posted on the updates page since it is an update, even though not an incremental one. We used to have as many as 100 patches to a version, all of which were posted on the udpates page and often took manual application. That is all.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis