Hotfixes

Started by Jim Jensen, June 29, 2011, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

Andy, I'm calling you....I just had an error assigning items out of suspense and when I called support they asked if we've ever installed the 10.7 hotfix. I didn't know there was one (I don't think I did anyway). My issue is - why aren't they posted to the software update page? If they are a needed fix/update, they shouldn't be 'secret'. Post them, let us apply them save support calls. I know that 10.8 is still awaiting a hotfix, but expect it will also be an "only if you know about it and call to ask for it" item. Doesn't make sense to me.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

GeorgeW

This information definitely needs to be communicated better. Had this discussion with our support supervisor not too long ago.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jeff Zylstra

You're expecting software makers to inform users of undocumented program enhancements?   Why that'd be like showing a picture of the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks!  ;)
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Andy

Jim -

News about version updates (which typically contain what you call "hotfixes") are sent out to clients through Facts Express and other email communications.  There was one in January https://www.appliedsystems.com/doc_central/SW-Support/TFE2011-01.htm and one in Marchhttps://www.appliedsystems.com/doc_central/SW-Support/TFE2011-03.htm.  Also, if you take the 10.8 update, it contains all the updates in 10.7.

You can find the information on updates, enhancements in the Release Notes.

We cannot post the actual files to the software downloads page because they are manual hotfixes and do not increment versions.

GeorgeW

Facts Express comes out once a month. Seems like there should be a better notification process.  :)
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Bloody Jack Kidd

Could create a Applied Hotfix board - which instantly generates RSS / Atom and Twitter feeds - make it read-only and give Andy or other Applied type the key and job of posting updates in there.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andy

I am hearing the masses ... and will see if we can make this situation better for all involved.

And no, Andy has his hands full creating Social Media Gold basted in Awesome-Sauce with a Entertaining & Informative Glaze.

;)

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andy

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on June 29, 2011, 04:16:38 PM
needs more sprinkles
When I use my marketing sprinkles, you all get mad.  :-X

Robin Deatherage

Quote from: Andy Riegler on June 29, 2011, 04:23:35 PM
Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on June 29, 2011, 04:16:38 PM
needs more sprinkles
When I use my marketing sprinkles, you all get mad.  :-X
LOL  funny.  I would rather have whipped cream with a cherry on top.   ;)
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Andrew Carrick

[/quote]
What you do in your own time is your business.... ;D
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Robin Deatherage

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on June 30, 2011, 03:17:14 AM

What you do in your own time is your business.... ;D
[/quote]
LOL!  Ok now, you went there not me.  I was thinking more like banana split or ice cream sundae.  You bad boy.  j/k  ;)
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Andy

Jim Jensen

Sure, a notice may go out in the Facts Express, but if you go to the support page, particularly the upgrade pages, there's no mention of a hotfix. The fact that it isn't an automated update isn't enough reason. The directions are really clear and it's not like it's difficult to place the files in the proper folders. I would hazard a guess that you'd have fewer calls for screwed up patches than having everyone contact support to request them. At a minimum there should be a listing on the update noting the hotfix.

Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Steven Strauss

I agree wholeheartedly with Jim, especially considering our organization is large enough that the folks that receive the Facts Express rarely communicate with those individuals responsible for installing the hotfixes.
Steven Strauss - CFO
NIP Group, Inc.  Woodbridge, NJ
Epic 2022 R2
CSR24, Salesforce, Cognos Finance, TM1