Main Menu

Wake on Lan Questions

Started by Jeff Zylstra, June 21, 2011, 12:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

I've been trying to implement Wake on Lan so that I can wake up my machines before business hours to run anti-virus scans and any other maintenance that I need to run so there is no slow down during working hours.  It works just fine on my older Dell Optiplex 620s that run XP Pro, but none of my new Dell Optiplex 780s or 980s running Windows 7 will wake up. 

The core problem seems to be that the Network adapters are not in a state where they can receive these packets.   The indicator is that none of the lights are on for the NICs in the newer machines, where they are for the older machines.  I've been into BIOS and enabled it on ALL of the machines, and I've even checked the Windows power settings on the newer machines.  I'm obviously missing something, since I'm sure that the newer cards support this.  The new machines are running Intel 82578DM network adapters.  Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

In the network card properties, you did make sure no power management or allowing computer to turn off the NIC are enabled?

That chip is supposed to handle WOL.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: HMan on June 21, 2011, 01:25:41 PM
In the network card properties, you did make sure no power management or allowing computer to turn off the NIC are enabled?

That chip is supposed to handle WOL.

Yes, I hit that one too.  I just read the descriptions of these option however, and I'm beginning to wonder if it supports what I want to do.  It says that it will wake from "standby" or "hibernation".  Neither of those are what I want.  I want it to wake from being turned off.  Power state "S5" I believe they call it.  Maybe I'll have to check the settings on my XP machines to see what they're set to.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on June 21, 2011, 01:30:56 PM
Yes, I hit that one too.  I just read the descriptions of these option however, and I'm beginning to wonder if it supports what I want to do.  It says that it will wake from "standby" or "hibernation".  Neither of those are what I want.  I want it to wake from being turned off.  Power state "S5" I believe they call it.  Maybe I'll have to check the settings on my XP machines to see what they're set to.

What you want to be able to do should be working as you expect it to.  What are you using to wake them?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

I've tried a number of utilities to try and wake individual machines, but used the dos based WOL.EXE in a batch file and at a command prompt with MAC, to wake an individual machine.  What is concerning me is that the NIC lights are not on when the machine is powered down.  That is unlike the XP machines, which still show activity on the NIC lights when they are powered down.  I did happen to notice that the Windows power settings are set to "always on" on the XP machines.  Does this setting set some kind of power state or condition on the NIC, even when the machine is powered down?  I wouldn't think that would make a difference when it is powered down, but I'm grasping for straws here. 

Mark

No, that shouldn't make a difference.  Have you checked the lights on the switch to see if they are off as well?  Also, did you check all of the features of the NIC via device manager?  I think you did, but I am being redundant anyway.  Are you using the proper format for the MAC address?  For example, the program I use requires the mac to be in xx:xx:xx:xx:xx format versus xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx.

I do believe that the issue lies in the power state.  I would also double-check the BIOS settings again.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Good point on the switch.  I'll have to check that tonight.  And yes, the MAC is correct as it was copied and pasted.  I also got a "success" message from the program, saying that a magic packet was sent successfully.  I will check the device manager settings again.  I have double checked all of the BIOS settings and enabled all of the WOL settings there.  Thanks, Mark.

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on June 21, 2011, 03:42:56 PM
I also got a "success" message from the program, saying that a magic packet was sent successfully.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........  I want a magic packet too.... I like magic when it comes to computer management!
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on June 21, 2011, 03:42:56 PM
Good point on the switch.  I'll have to check that tonight.  And yes, the MAC is correct as it was copied and pasted.  I also got a "success" message from the program, saying that a magic packet was sent successfully.  I will check the device manager settings again.  I have double checked all of the BIOS settings and enabled all of the WOL settings there.  Thanks, Mark.

I didn't mean to check if the MAC was right -- meant the syntax the colon versus the hyphen, but since you got a success and it works for XP boxes, you are obviously formatting it properly.

Another thing I would suggest is that if you have multiple options, either in the BIOS or in the driver, only chose the Wake on LAN option.  Don't do the "Both" or whatever the other ones are.  For example, on my particular machine, an Intel 82567LM-3, I have options for "OS Controlled", "Wake on Directed Packet", "Wake on Magic & Directed", and "Wake on Magic Packet".  I would chose the last one, since you know that you are sending a "Magic Packet".

I've had all kinds of different issues with different wake on LAN on different networks with different machines, and blah blah blah blah blah.  lol  I can't say there was ever one ting that made a difference or anything like that.  You just need to figure out what works in your environment and stick with it.  I think that you are definitely on to something with the NIC lights not being on.  Also, I know that some power settings can be per user, so that might be somethign to look further into as well.  Maybe set the power settings with Group Policy or something -- you just need to make sure the settings you're setting are in fact in use at the time of need.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Thanks, Mark.  I will specify only the "magic packet" option since it is set to "both" right now.  And I will check the switch after hours.  The funny thing is, the Intel manual actually mentions something about setting the state of the NIC before shutting it down.  It's all in programming speak, so maybe you might understand it, but I don't speak C++, so it's all Greek to me. 

Mark

Can you link me to the verbiage you speak of?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on June 21, 2011, 04:18:06 PM
Can you link me to the verbiage you speak of?

I can't seem to find it now.  But I did find this link, which is somewhat disheartening in that it says "Some newer machines do not support being woken up from a powered-off state."  and "NOTE: S4 is the only ACPI mode currently supported by Dell.".     Although this is for a Intel Pro line of adapters (I don't think these are "Pro Line" adapters, I'm still wondering if it will work on this adapter.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/p29351/en/wol.htm

Jeff Zylstra

OK.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure that I've got it figured out.  There was another setting in BIOS "enable low power mode" that turns off the NIC when you shut down.  That's why the lights weren't working when powered down.  They're on now, so tomorrow at 5:00 AM, they should all be on.  Thanks Mark!

Mark

Awesome!  Glad I could help!  (EDIT: Glad it helped.  I didn't really do much ;))

I just wrote a batch file this morning that matches the MAC from a text file and allows me to wake a machine on demand with ease like this:

C:\>wake machinename

I got sick of looking up the MAC and typing it in or cutting and pasting, then changing the hyphen to a colon, etc.  Now I can just wake machine on demand without having to think about anything.  I never get up, but still don't gain weight.  :-\
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jan Regnier

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio