Agency Acquisition

Started by Lynne Desrochers, May 25, 2011, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

Well, it's happened again and we are purchasing another agency with no automation. Whoo-hoo! I want to throw this out to the group and ask what's the best way to go about this?
Here's our plan:
We have a list of policies with each carrier. To the best of my knowledge we have to manually input the client detail screen and set up the policy billing screens. We want it in a certain branch with a certain producer code. Then we will get some initial loads from the different carriers.
Is there a better way? Is there something else we should consider? Thanks!
Lynne Desrochers

DebAmstutz

Congratulations on the purchase!  At least you won't hear "It was easier when I worked on (fill in the name of software company)'s program.  They won't have any bad automation habits, either!  You get to start with a clean slate!
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Ian Blundell

You could just have all of the new clients sign BORs switching to BHB and not have to deal with any of it.  Send me a mailing list and I'll even do the letters for you.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Jeff Zylstra

There is a prospect import utility, but I don't know of a customer import utility or a way to transfer prospects to customers in a batch format.  I would actually call Applied on this one, since they may have some hidden functionality, utility or other method that would require tech support to implement.  

It would be nice to have an Excel spreadsheet assign the customer numbers automatically, but then you would most certainly have conflicts with existing customer numbers.  Better to have support do this for you.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

brinkerdana

I did some contract work for an agency in this situation.  We did it as you described. 

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks everyone! Yes Deb, I won't hear any of that. Thank you Ian, I'll consider your offer, although Rick might not. Jeff - I called Applied and for a split second we thought we could do something with the download, but it was a pipe dream. Oh well. Dana thank you for confirming my thoughts. (I feel like Dorothy when she wakes up) If anyone else has any I'll take all suggestions!
Lynne Desrochers

GeorgeW

They have no management system now?  We've used Randy Teich for acquisitions.

http://www.teichdataservices.com/default.aspx

George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: George Watson on May 26, 2011, 08:47:38 AM
They have no management system now?  We've used Randy Teich for acquisitions.

http://www.teichdataservices.com/default.aspx

Good call George!  If I remember correctly, he has some custom written software that does some nifty things with TAM.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks. I sent an email. I have actually used him before, but that was an Applied agency, it was the best thing though. It can't hurt to ask and find out what he can do!
See this is why i posted.
Lynne Desrochers

Bob

Drop me an email Lynn anytime you encounter a problem or new challenge.   We do this quite a bit.  Usually we acquire an Agency, merge it all on to our books in Lafayette but lately we've been buying locations and running them as remote offices.  3 last October and now trying to close a deal in Southern Cal.    Email me anytime and I'll share what I can.  :)