Main Menu

cable - what kind?

Started by Lynne Desrochers, May 24, 2011, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

We are doing some renovations. One of my cabling quotes came back indicating they would be using Cat5e plenum. What is that? Is that what you all would recommend? Thanks in advance!
Lynne Desrochers

Jeff Zylstra

The "plenum" rated cable has to do with what it does in a fire. IE Smoke, toxicity, etc...  If any of this cable is to be run in a cold air return or something like that, then by building code, it has to be plenum rated.  Unfortunately, if you have a "drop ceiling", that can be considered a cold air return and you'll need to use the plenum rated wire.

http://www.l-com.com/content/FAQ.aspx?Type=FAQ&ID=4838
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Orlando Alonzo

I believe the plenum portion refers to the outside housing of the cable. Makes the cable tougher for pulling through in commercial spaces. Cat5e is fine. I'm just curious why not Cat6?
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Lynne Desrochers

I don't know why not Cat6? Is that what all of you would use now? Thanks!
Lynne Desrochers

Bloody Jack Kidd

Cat5e will do GBit - but I'd think most new installs are Cat 6.  As Jeff noted, plenum is for code compliance when it comes to fires.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Billy Welsh

Check with your landlord (if you have one) on the plenum.  In a typical office building with dropped ceilings it is required.

And CAT 6 is now considered the standard - usually not much price difference these days from 5e.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Zylstra

A quick check on the internet says that for 1,000 of cable, the price difference is about $75.  I would go with CAT 6, since it "future proofs" you to whatever extent that is possible.  
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

The longer your run, the more it will matter if you have the Cat5e or Cat6 when you are running 1Gb.  I have been told that devices may connect with Cat5e and form a 1Gb connection, but that such connection will be subpar as compared to Cat6.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Lynne Desrochers

Thanks everyone! You have another satisfied customer!
Lynne Desrochers