Virtualizing TAM. I mean REALLY virtualizing.

Started by Jason@KiteTech, May 24, 2011, 07:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason@KiteTech

I know ASI will have a problem w/ this b/c it eats into their TAM Online profit, but I'll ask anyway:  Has anyone moved their data to the cloud, or colocated it?  Any tips, suggestions, caveats?
Jason Gobbel

The Kite Technology Group

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: DebAmstutz on May 24, 2011, 09:21:49 AM
I don't think the cloud is allowed.

Is this pun-ishment for something Jason said?   ;D
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

We are only able to give useless comments such as:

TAM 9.3 license, section 2.1.4: For the avoidance of doubt, a third party may not host the Software for Licensee's benefit without Applied Systems' written permission.  This permission may be withheld at Applied Systems' sole discretion.

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Rob Reckard

That's interesting, anyone ever ask for written permission?
Rob Reckard
Hart Insurance Agency
Grants Pass, OR
Nexsure Agency Management System, 37 users
Fax@vantage v9

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Rob Reckard on May 25, 2011, 07:43:25 PM

All of those requests are referred to the TAM Online department.  I bet that wold generate a phone call real quick.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bloody Jack Kidd

Hi Rob!

Welcome to AU... just thought I'd throw that in here.

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Bloody Jack Kidd on May 26, 2011, 09:34:27 AM

Hi Rob!

Welcome to AU... just thought I'd throw that in here.

Fresh meat, er new member.  Welcome Rob!  ;)

Rob Reckard

Rob Reckard
Hart Insurance Agency
Grants Pass, OR
Nexsure Agency Management System, 37 users
Fax@vantage v9

Jason@KiteTech

Yes, and they were flatly denied.

Reading through the TAM 10.8 EULA, it doesn't specifically say it isn't allowed.  It only says that it must be an "approved environment."  One could assume that a colocated server w/ ample specs would be "approved" since we all know there's no fundamental difference.

There's probably something more specific that an agency signs when they start using the software, though.  I've just never seen that wording.

But let's take that 9.3 wording at face value.  Colocated servers that I own are not "hosted" by a 3rd party.  I just rent power and bandwidth, just like I do here at my office.
Jason Gobbel

The Kite Technology Group

Alice

I was going to attach the license agreement that is available to everyone by going to Tam Home Base / Help / About and click on License Agreement, then then changed my mind since I think non-Tam users access these groups. Just trying to stay out of trouble here.

I think the verbiage you're looking for is under 2.4 (page 3 if printed). I may be interpreting it wrong but I think it's close, or it should be in there somewhere maybe in another section.
We are on Tam 10.7.

Mark

There was recently (past few months) discussion on this somewhere else online and if I recall correctly, it all lies in technicalities of who owns what (short version).  I also believe that the OP was denied and shortly after that granted permission to host TAM data at a colo.

There is also an agency in Texas who (speak up man) who hosts data for other agencies -- or something to that effect.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security