User naming convention question

Started by Robin Deatherage, June 01, 2011, 10:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Deatherage

Our typical naming convention for users is first name initial and then last name.  So mine Robin Deatherage is "rdeatherage".  I have a user who just got married and is wanting to hyphenate maiden name and new married name so in my case that would be Robin Owens-Deatherage.  On her profile and email address I'm trying to decide if I should set it up as rowens-deatherage or rowensdeatherage?  Or some other way.  Any suggestions on how to do a hyphenated name?
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Hans Manhave

Use the hyphen.  People have to read it and that makes it easier. 

I won't give any comment on the actual demand for this.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jim Jensen

If it's the first time, ask the person for their input, perhaps? They have to live with it. Otherwise I agree with Hans, in general.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Forget the social concerns.  I'd more concerned about naming conventions.  Does anyone know of any anomalies in profile naming or E-mail address conventions where a hyphen may cause problems?  Any limitations or unsupported characters? 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

GeorgeW

I know we have some users with the hyphen as part of their email address.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

Yes but who wants to type all that "garbage" out?  keep it short and simple.  We changed our email convention when the agency name changed and I'm thankfull for it!  Went from ccharbon@gronaboles.com to charliec@gbmbinsurance.com the ccharbon was shortened by the ISP when I started, but it should have been ccharbonneau which means my new address would have been ccharbonneau@gbmbinsurance.com... I'd hate to have to give that out! We're small enough that first name last initial works for us but I know in larger agencies it's not as apt to work as well.  But think about having to give out "blah" "blah""dash" "blah" @ "blah" "Dot" "Com"...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

DebAmstutz

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on June 01, 2011, 11:55:31 AM
But think about having to give out "blah" "blah""dash" "blah" @ "blah" "Dot" "Com"...

I have to do that with a qualifier, Charlie!  deb.amstutz@sourceoneinsurance.com (all letters, no numbers)
Oh how I wish I could be da@source1.com!
Deb Amstutz
Missing TAM 5 days a week

Charlie Charbonneau

Exactly my point Deb!  Though you're far from a DA! ;)
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.

Robin Deatherage

Problem averted.  I just spoke to her again and she's decided to just use the married name only now.
Robin Deatherage, CIC

Bob

Unrelated to Robins question but to Charlie and Deb, if you're hosting Exchange or even MDaemon you can have long email names as primary if that is the procedure, then make alias emails to point to them.

Could have Deb.Amutz@sourceoneinsurance.com with an Alias of Deb@sourceoneinsurance.   Both would go to you but one is a redirected fake name vs. your real email account.

I have many aliases just in case customer forgets.  Over time when employees leave and I close out the user account, I'll recreate their user email as an alias and route that to management so nothing is missed.  Companies are terrible for keeping up on agency contacts.  This ensures that renewal quote being mailed to ex employee gets to the proper hands.

I love aliases!  :)

Robin Deatherage

Funny you should mention aliases.  While I was speaking to her that was something I mentioned and it seemed to help with the decision to drop the maiden name. 
Robin Deatherage, CIC

Charlie Charbonneau

Yes we're using aliases as well.  both gronaboles.com and gbmbinsurance.com sets are fully working. Along with the first half of each set on the other set.  so I have at least 3 aliases for each users.  for myself I have charliec@gbmb, @grona and ccharbon@gbmb, @grona.  Our info account also comes to me as well.  I should really set up a Joat alias for myself and give that out... Wonder how many would get it...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.