XP Station reboots after shutdown

Started by Jan Regnier, May 12, 2011, 12:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Regnier

Not sure if this is HARDWARE or SOFTWARE issue but beginning this in Hardware:

I have one XP PRO SP3 machine that has just started rebooting after shutdown.
It starts OK, runs OK, shuts down OK but then reboots immediately after it has shutdown.
I have scanned with Sophos, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and come up clean with all three.
Have had no signs of issues - the Event Log is 99% clean - nothing jumping out as the cause.
I don't see any "suspecious" items in PROCESS or APPLICATIONS or in Add/Remove Program list.
There are no error messages or programs not running properly or any slow down with anything.
This machine has not had issues in the past. No virus - etc.

I have tried unchecking the Restart under the StartUp/Recovery which seemed to be the #1 suggestion to try- made no difference.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated before I have to call in a TECH to fix it!  Thanks!

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

From a quick Google of the situation. Some thoughts...

Maybe a service is set to "reboot on fail" and it is failing on shutdown.

BIOS setting changed or corrupted?

Corruption or a failed installation that caused the registry to insert something making it reboot instead of shutdown?

Does it do this on all users of this machines?  How about if you boot into safe mode?

Go into regedit and search for "shutdown" and look at the registry entries.  Chances are that one has been altered somehow.

I hope one of these helps.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Thanks Jeff...I haven't installed anything on this machine so I know that's not the issue.
Does the same thing in SAFE MODE.
I will look at the registry and see what shows up.

Jan Regnier

Jeff Golas

I would check the bios - sounds like power management got turned off so Windows can't properly signal for it to shut off. Try loading bios defaults?
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Jeff Golas on May 13, 2011, 01:16:14 PM
I would check the bios - sounds like power management got turned off so Windows can't properly signal for it to shut off. Try loading bios defaults?

Does resetting to bios defaults require resetting anything else?
Jan Regnier

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jan Regnier on May 13, 2011, 01:21:42 PM
Quote from: Jeff Golas on May 13, 2011, 01:16:14 PM

Does resetting to bios defaults require resetting anything else?

No I don't think so, other than maybe the time.  The hard drives and CD/DVD drives should automatically be recognized during the startup process, and repopulate the settings automatically.  Go for it.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

OK - I will try it after work..if that doesn't work - then off to the tech it goes....I am of the opinion it may be a hardware issue...
Jan Regnier

Bob

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Bob Connor on May 13, 2011, 02:11:29 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101011153126AAtqWOO

Some good leads in this conversation..  :)

I thought about a few of the items mentioned - haven't opened the case yet.  I will do that tonight after work and take a look-see...  I'll try the shutdown with the command prompt option too and see what happens with that.  Thanks.
Jan Regnier

Alice

Jan - maybe there's a minidump you can post and someone can look at? I found (finally) this and maybe something is failing at shutdown causing a restart. If this has already been suggested...apologize for the dupl.

Jan Regnier

I did see that info but didn't look at the report.  I will do that too after work.  Thanks.
Jan Regnier