Fujitsu Scanner Question S1300

Started by Judy Means, April 25, 2011, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Means

I'm looking to get a scanner for home.  I've been looking closely at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003990GMQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d17_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0WFNFQ5R75B61FB7YW1Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

Does anyone have any experience with this one?  Is there any reason why I would absolutely have to have a scanner with the twain driver like they recommend in TAM?  This Fujitsu does not have the twain driver. 

TIA

Judy
Judy Means
West Texas Insurance Exchange, Inc.
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

Jeff Zylstra

I have no experience with this scanner, but makes some nice scanners.  And no, you don't really need the TWAIN interface.  TWAIN is a standard by which software makers can interface directly with the hardware.  It is the go between piece that is used by TAM's "attach" dialogue to call the scanner software after you've input all of the customer, policy and other details of that particular attachment.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

To elaborate a little on Jeff's comments about TWAIN. If you want to use the barcode scanning in TAM, using Applied's workflow, then you need a TWAIN-compliant scanner. If you don't need the barcode scanning, you don't need TWAIN. You can still utilize the barcode scanning without TWAIN, but it takes an extra step. You need to scan the items in with the barcdes, then save the file (I'm sure as a TIFF), then import into TAM's bardcode processor to attach them using the barcodes.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Judy Means

Thanks.  This will be for my own personal use at home.  I want to get rid of all my paper at home like I did here at the office.  I just wanted to be sure the Twain driver wasn't something that I'd regret. 

Appreciate the feedback.

Judy
Judy Means
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

KenH

I installed one of these.  I think you will LOVE it.  If you need free shipping, Try newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838115060&cm_re=scansnap_s1300-_-38-115-060-_-Product

I always create a folder and have it autosave to that folder.  Create year folders, and sub catagories within, instant electronic filing system.
John 'Ken' Hughes

Judy Means

Ken, thanks for the good word on this.  I think I'm going to go with it.  I do have Paperport 12 installed on my home computer as sort of a filing cabinet.  I also, though, want to scan in all my old tax stuff, etc, and put all that on a flash drive.  I'm overrun with paper. 

Judy
Judy Means
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies