Workgroup Printer Recommendation?

Started by krichmond, April 25, 2011, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krichmond

Hi All,

I'm replacing some HP 41xx and 42xx series printers and looking for a recommendation.  Looking for B&W, wired connectivity, minimum two trays + manual feed tray.

I'm looking at HP 4014/4015's but the reviews aren't very kind. 

Any input is appreciated!

Cheers,
Ken
TAM 11.0Eh

WFW3.11, Lotus 1-2-3 2.1, WordPerfect 4.0, DOS 4.11.  4Mb Token Ring, Compaq Deskpro 486/33 with NEC Flatscreen CRT's.

Bloody Jack Kidd

We have used quite a bit of Xerox gear over the years - usually pretty solid stuff. 
Sysadmin - Parallel42

krichmond

Thanks Rick,

Any suggestion on a model?  I've used their phaser color lasers and can't say that I'm a big fan.

TAM 11.0Eh

WFW3.11, Lotus 1-2-3 2.1, WordPerfect 4.0, DOS 4.11.  4Mb Token Ring, Compaq Deskpro 486/33 with NEC Flatscreen CRT's.

Bloody Jack Kidd

yeah - they picked up that Phaser line from Tektronix, which I think is where their solid ink technology came from - those are the true Phasers - now called ColorCube.  I still like those.

For B&W, we used older N24 / N32 / N2125 (still have a few) and then larger multi-function like the 128Pro, C55 etc.  Lately we've been getting big 56xx and 57xx units.

I really can't vouch for the B&W Phasers.   

OKI is another brand that produces decent hardware - my only gripe with OKI would be that I'm not 100% sold on their drivers.

YMMV with any vendor I suppose.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Ian Blundell

I upgraded from a solid ink Phaser to a Phaser 7400 (all laser cartridges).  Big mistake,  stay away from it.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

krichmond

We have some phaser 6300DN's (color toner lasers) here and they're just 'ok'. 

I didn't like the output of the first gen solid ink printers.  The wax was very thick, pages stuck together, and the image could be damaged quite easily.  I'm guessing that the quality is much better now.

I'm going to look at Xerox's B&W Laser specs for my next printer.  Thanks for the info.

TAM 11.0Eh

Jeff Zylstra

Don't know if they're any good anymore, but we had good luck with a Lexmark laser printer some years ago.  Has anyone had experience with any of these lately?  When my current crop of Kyocera printers die, I would like to look at printers that use an "all in one" style cartridge where the toner and drum get replaced every time.  Although I've not had an issue with the Kyoceras yet, I know that the maintenance kits and/or drums are prohibitively expensive.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

Didn't Dell acquire Lexmark.  I think most of the Dell laser printer lines are Lexmark printers with Dell logos.  Might be mistaken but think so..  :)

Jeff Golas

Why are you replacing the 42xx's? We have those and 4300's here...the 4300's have well over 800,000 pages on the odometers! Give em a vacuum and maint kit once a year, other than wacking people's hands with a yardstick if they try to touch the green button you're good!
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Golas

PS - if the network cards are giving you problems...you can replace them fairly cheap now. I forget the original number but if they're the original network interfaces (Jetdirect 615?) with a white bezel, they can be replaced with Jetdirect 620's that have a gray bezel. There was a defect with the 615.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com